Solving Laplace Transform for t-tU(t-1)

In summary: Or you could put ##t = y+1## in the first term and the integral on the right would be \int_0^{\infty} y \, e^{-sy} \, dy.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laplace transform for a given function and includes a step-by-step explanation of how to solve it. The final answer includes a term involving the Heaviside function, which represents the shift in the step function.
jtruth914
I attached the problem as a word document. I'm stuck trying to determine the laplace transform for t-tU(t-1). I know I'm supposed to work with 1/s^2(s+2) and solve for A, B,C. I got B=1/2, A=-1/4, and C=1/4 when 1=(As+B)(s+2)+Cs^2. The answer to the problem is
y= 1/4 + 1/2t +1/4 e^-2t -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1). I understand where 1/4 + 1/2t +1/4 e^-2t comes from but I don't understand where -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1) comes from.

Attachments

• Problem.docx
    15.1 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to find the Laplace transform for f(t)= t for [tex]t \le 1[/tex], f(t)= 0 for t>1?

I would just use the definition of "Laplace transform":
[tex]\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt= \int_0^1 te^{-st}dt[/tex]
Integrate that "by parts". Let u= t, [itex]dv= e^{-st}dt[/itex], du= dt, [itex]v= -(1/s)e^{-st}[/itex] so this is
[tex]\left[-(t/s)e^{-st}\right]_0^1+ (1/s)\int e^{-st}dt[/tex][tex]= -e^{-s}/s+ \left[(-1/s^2)e^{-st}\right]_0^1[/tex]
[tex]= -e^{-s}/s- e^{-s}/s^2+ 1/s^2[/tex]

I still don't understand where -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1) comes from. The answer is y= 1/4 + 1/2t +1/4 e^-2t -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1). Where does the second part of the answer come from.

Do you not know what "U(t-1)" means? U(t), the Heaviside function or "unit step function" is 0 for x< 0, 1 for x> 0 (generally it is defined to be 1 at x= 1 but that is not important). The "t- 1" argument just shifst the step to x= 1: when x= 1, x- 1= 0 so U(1-1)= U(0). That is, U(t- 1) is 0 for x< 1, 1 for x> 1.

If x< 1 then -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1)= -[1/4+ (1/2)(t- 1)]+ 1/4e^{-2(t-1)}(0)= -1/4- (1/2)t- 1/2= -[(1/2)t+ 3/4]. If [itex]x\ge 1[/itex], this is -[1/4+ (1/2)(t- 1)]+ 1/4e^{-2(t-1)}(1)= -[(1/2)t+ 3/4- 1/4e^{-2(t-1)}]

jtruth914 said:
I still don't understand where -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1) comes from. The answer is y= 1/4 + 1/2t +1/4 e^-2t -[1/4 +1/2(t-1) -1/4 e^-2(t-1)] U(t-1). Where does the second part of the answer come from.

When the author writes ##t - t u(t-1)## he/she is essentially saying that
[tex] \int_0^1 e^{-st} t \, dt = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st} t \, dt - \int_1^{\infty} e^{-st} t \, dt.[/tex] You could put ##t = x+1## in the second term to get
[tex] \int_1^{\infty} e^{-st} t \, dt= \int_0^{\infty} (x+1) e^{-s(x+1)} \, dx[/tex]
and then do the integral on the right as a sum of two already-known integrals.

Related to Solving Laplace Transform for t-tU(t-1)

1. How do I solve a Laplace transform for t-tU(t-1)?

To solve a Laplace transform for t-tU(t-1), you first need to use the step function property of the Laplace transform to rewrite the function as tU(t-1). Then, you can use the time-shifting property to shift the function by 1 unit to the right, resulting in tU(t). From there, you can use the definition of the Laplace transform to solve for the transformed function.

2. What is the purpose of using Laplace transforms for solving problems?

Laplace transforms are a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations and other problems in engineering and science. They allow us to convert complex functions in the time domain to simpler functions in the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

3. Can I use Laplace transforms to solve any type of problem?

No, Laplace transforms are most commonly used to solve linear, constant coefficient differential equations. They may also be used for other types of problems, but their application may be limited.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

Yes, Laplace transforms may not be applicable if the function has a singularity at the origin or if the function grows faster than an exponential. In addition, the initial and final values of the function must be finite for the Laplace transform to exist.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Laplace transforms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Laplace transforms include forgetting to use the step function property, not properly shifting the function when using the time-shifting property, and incorrectly applying the definition of the Laplace transform. It is important to carefully follow the steps and properties of Laplace transforms to avoid these errors.