Solving Kepler's Third Law for Period - 6.7E6m

In summary: You can't just cancel out terms with units to get to unit-free equations, because you are cancelling out terms which are not equal. You can't divide meters by seconds and get a unit-less result.Also, the period for a satellite orbiting the Earth will be given in seconds, not years. Try to use common sense and reasonableness when you get an answer to a problem. If you have a satellite orbiting the Earth and the answer you get for the period is a number of years, that should tell you something's wrong.In summary, the correct formula to find the period of a satellite in orbit around the Earth is 4*pi^2 / T^2 = G*M / R^3
KVat390

Homework Statement

Find the period of a satellite that is in orbit 6.7×10^6 meters from the center of the earth?

Homework Equations

P^2=R^3 P=period and R=average distance

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I have tried P^2=(6.7×10^6)^3
then sqrt of (P^2)=sqrt of (3.00763×10^20)
My answer is the period of the satellite=1.73425×10^10
I'm pretty sure my answer is way off, please describe how to get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
4∏/T^2=GM/R^3
4∏/T^2=(6.67×10^-11)(5.98×10^24)/(6.7×10^6)^3
12.57/T^2=(3.98866E14)/(3.00763E20)
12.57/T^2=1.326180414E-6
T^2=1.66700878E-5
T=.0040829019
Is this answer correct?

I don't think so. How did you get T^2= ?

I would have solved for T^2 first and then inserted the values. It always makes things easier.

GM*T^2 = 4*pi^2 * R^3

T^2 = 4*pi^2*R^3 / G*M

Last edited:
Unit-free calculations almost never end well.

A Revision to my previous post

The equation is 4pi^2/T^2=GM/R^3 not 4pi/T^2=GM/R^3
I changed my answer to 5.46 periods
39.48/T^2=(3.98866E14)/(3.00763E20)
T^2=39.48/1.33x10^-6
sqrt of T=sqrt of 39.48/1.33x10^-6
T=5.45×10^3 periods/earth years
Is my answer correct?

Last edited:
KVat390 said:
The equation is 4pi^2/T^2=GM/R^3 not 4pi/T^2=GM/R^3
I changed my answer to .00723578554
39.48/T^2=(3.98866E14)/(3.00763E20)
T^2=5.235760276E-5
sqrt of T=sqrt of 5.235760276E-5
T=.0072358554 periods/earth years
Is this answer correct?

I fixed my eqns to say pi^2

so that T^2 = 4 * pi^2 * R^3 / (G * M) = 4 * pi^2 (6.7E6)^3 / ((6.67E-11) * (5.98E24)) = 2.98E7

and T =5.46E3

When I did my calculations I got tripped up by a lack of parentheses around the denominator terms which meant that I divided by the G and then multiplied by the M instead of dividing by (G * M)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Still won't knuckle under and use units, eh? Good Luck with the rest of your course work!

SteamKing said:
Still won't knuckle under and use units, eh? Good Luck with the rest of your course work!

Klingon programmers have no need of units, we use junits...

Edit: To the OP I forgot the pesky pi factor again but fixed my post above.

Having gotten the answer for T and knowing R does it seem reasonable?

What object might have a periodicity like this?

Oh and as SteamKing said where is your unit analysis? What units is used for T?

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
I fixed my eqns to say pi^2

so that T^2 = 4 * pi^2 * R^3 / (G * M) = 4 * pi (6.7E6)^3 / ((6.67E-11) * (5.98E24)) = 9.47E6

and T = 3.07E3
That result is incorrect. You dropped a factor of pi.

You are being sloppy and it is getting you in trouble.You also are not following instructions. You didn't read the instructions on where to post your physics problems.

vela said:
If your thread mysteriously disappears without a trace from this forum, you probably didn't post it in the right place, so your thread was moved to the Introductory Physics or Engineering forum.

Advanced physics does not mean, among other things:
  • "I think this problem is really hard."
  • "I'm taking a college physics course."
  • "We're covering electromagnetism now."
  • "We're covering relativity now."
  • "We're covering quantum mechanics now."
If you have to plug numbers into a formula to get the final answer, that's usually a good sign the question doesn't belong here.

Questions that do belong in this forum are from upper-division or graduate physics courses — classes physics majors (in the US) take in their junior year and later.

This is not an advanced physics homework problem. I'm moving this to the introductory physics homework section.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
'Advanced Physics' also doesn't mean, "Units? Units? I don't need no stinkin' units!"

Likes 1 person

Related to Solving Kepler's Third Law for Period - 6.7E6m

What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This relationship is known as the "harmonic law" and is expressed as P^2 = a^3, where P is the orbital period in years and a is the semi-major axis in astronomical units (AU).

How do you solve for period in Kepler's Third Law?

To solve for the orbital period (P) in Kepler's Third Law, you can use the equation P = √(a^3), where a is the semi-major axis of the planet's orbit. If the semi-major axis is given in meters (m), you will need to convert it to astronomical units (AU) before using the equation.

What is the significance of solving Kepler's Third Law for period?

Solving Kepler's Third Law for the orbital period is important because it allows us to calculate the period of a planet's orbit around a star based on its distance from the star. This is useful for understanding the dynamics of our solar system and for discovering and studying exoplanets in other star systems.

How does the distance between a planet and its star affect the orbital period?

According to Kepler's Third Law, the distance between a planet and its star (represented by the semi-major axis, a) has a direct relationship with the orbital period (P). This means that the larger the distance between the planet and its star, the longer the orbital period will be.

Are there any limitations to using Kepler's Third Law for calculating orbital period?

While Kepler's Third Law is a useful tool for understanding the dynamics of planetary motion, it does have limitations. It assumes that the planet's orbit is circular and that the mass of the planet is negligible compared to the mass of the star. In reality, most planetary orbits are slightly elliptical and the mass of the planet can have an impact on the orbital period. Additionally, this law does not account for the influence of other planets or external forces on the orbit.