Solving Inverse Laplace Transform w/ Convolution Integral: Ch 8, Sec 10 #3

In summary: The convolution integral takes the form of:\int_{-\infty}^\infty\,f(x)g(z-x)dxUse the convolution integral to find the inverse transforms of:\frac{p}{(p^{2}-1)^{2}} = \frac{p}{p^{2}-1} \frac{1}{p^{2}-1}
mateomy
Boas Ch. 8, Sec. 10 #3

Use the convolution integral to find the inverse transforms of:
[tex]
\frac{p}{(p^{2}-1)^{2}} = \frac{p}{p^{2}-1} \frac{1}{p^{2}-1}
[/tex]

I'm completely confused with these things. Are we supposed to figure out the inverse Laplace transform and then use that within our convolution integral? I am completely lost. Just looking for some advice, thanks.

I know the convolution integral takes the form of:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty\,f(x)g(z-x)dx
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
Boas Ch. 8, Sec. 10 #3

Use the convolution integral to find the inverse transforms of:
[tex]
\frac{p}{(p^{2}-1)^{2}} = \frac{p}{p^{2}-1} \frac{1}{p^{2}-1}
[/tex]

I'm completely confused with these things. Are we supposed to figure out the inverse Laplace transform and then use that within our convolution integral? I am completely lost. Just looking for some advice, thanks.

I know the convolution integral takes the form of:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty\,f(x)g(z-x)dx
[/tex]

For functions defined on [0,∞) the convolution is, instead:
[tex] \int_0^z f(x) g(z-x) \, dx \text{ for }z \geq 0.[/tex]
And yes, you are supposed to figure out the inverse Laplace of p/(p^2-1), then do a convolution, exactly as it says.

Just to clarify, you mean '..inverse Laplace of
[tex]
\frac{p}{(p^{2}-1)^{2}}[/tex]
right?

So far...
[tex]
\int \frac{p}{(p^{2}-1)^{2}}dp[/tex]
getting...
[tex]
\frac{-1}{2(p^{2}-1)}[/tex]

Now do I look for the inverse transform? Because If I do that my answer slightly varies from the book's. Boas shows:
[tex]
\frac{tsinht}{2}[/tex]
whereas I'm getting
[tex]\frac{sinht}{2}[/tex]

..hmmm?

(thanks for the help)

However, if I actually paid attention to what you had said maybe I'd be doing something different. I'll try the 'real' method now...

After finding my inverse transform, being [itex]cosh(at)sinh(at)[/itex] I used their exponential forms to integrate.
[tex]
\int_0^\infty \left(\frac{e^{at}+e^{-at}}{2}\right)\frac{e^{at}-e^{-at}}{2}dt[/tex]
...which I end up getting
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\left(cosh(at)-t\right)[/tex]
which still isn't right.

Clearly, I'm confused.

That's not a convolution integral. You want to convolve sinh and cosh.

Then I'm even more lost...

Look at Ray's integral in post #2 and yours. Yours doesn't have a ##z##. I'm not sure how you came up with your integral.

Related to Solving Inverse Laplace Transform w/ Convolution Integral: Ch 8, Sec 10 #3

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the frequency domain and finds the corresponding function in the time domain.

2. What is the convolution integral?

The convolution integral is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function. It is often used to solve differential equations and signal processing problems.

3. How do you use the convolution integral to solve inverse Laplace transforms?

To solve inverse Laplace transforms using the convolution integral, you first need to find the Laplace transform of the two functions involved. Then, you can use the convolution integral formula to find the inverse Laplace transform.

4. What is the process for solving inverse Laplace transforms with convolution integral?

The process for solving inverse Laplace transforms with convolution integral involves finding the Laplace transform of the two functions, setting up the convolution integral formula, and then solving for the inverse Laplace transform using algebraic manipulation and integration techniques.

5. What are some applications of solving inverse Laplace transforms with convolution integral?

Solving inverse Laplace transforms with convolution integral is commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and differential equations. It is also used in other areas of science and engineering to model and analyze systems in the time domain.