Solving Integral Issues: "If b∫f(x)dx = a + 2b, then ∫ (f(x) + 5)dx?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral problem using the method of substituting and adding integrals. The final solution is found by either using g(x) and substituting f(x) by g(x)+7, or using f(x) and substituting g(x) by f(x)-7. The final answer is 2 times the integral of g(x) from 3 to 5, plus 7 times the integral of dx from 3 to 5.
kenny87
Here's the question:

If:

b b
∫ f(x)dx = a + 2b, then ∫ (f(x) + 5)dx = ?
a a

I'm thinking myself into circles... I want to say I need to take the derivative of a+2b to then find out what equals f(x) and then just take the integral of that +5... but its just not working out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am reading correctly what you wrote then you are merely adding 5(b-a) to the original integral.

[tex]\int_a^b (f(x)+ 5)dx= \int_a^b f(x)dx+ 5\int_a^b dx[/tex]

So would it be just a+2b+5?

Nope, what does [tex] \int^b_a dx [/tex] equal?

Ok, so then I just do 5(b-a)?

You have to add that, yes :smile:

Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

So in this problem:

If f(x)=g(x)+7 from 3 to 5, then the integral from 3 to 5 of [f(x)+g(x)]dx is?

Can I just use the same method and get

2 ∫ g(x)dx+7

Almost, don't forget that the 7 was in the integrand!

[tex]\int\limits_3^5 {f\left( x \right) + g\left( x \right)dx} = \int\limits_3^5 {g\left( x \right) + 7 + g\left( x \right)dx} = 2\int\limits_3^5 {g\left( x \right)dx} + 7\int\limits_3^5 {dx} [/tex]

how do i figure dx in this case? do i use g(x) or f(x)?

You either use f(x) and substitute g(x) by f(x)-7 or you use g(x), and substitute f(x) by g(x)+7.

Related to Solving Integral Issues: "If b∫f(x)dx = a + 2b, then ∫ (f(x) + 5)dx?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems involving continuous quantities, such as finding the distance traveled by an object over a period of time.

2. What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of the function being integrated, then evaluating the integral using the limits of integration.

3. What does b∫f(x)dx = a + 2b mean?

This equation represents a definite integral, where b is the upper limit of integration and a is the lower limit of integration. The result of the integral is equal to the sum of a and 2b.

4. How is the integral affected when the function is multiplied by a constant?

Multiplying a function by a constant will also multiply the result of the integral by that same constant. For example, if the integral of f(x) is 5, then the integral of 2f(x) would be 10.

5. How does adding a constant to the function affect the integral?

Adding a constant to a function does not change the result of the integral. This is because the constant will be included in the antiderivative and will cancel out when evaluating the integral using the limits of integration.