Solving Integral for All n≥2 | Evans PDE's (Page 48)

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral from a book on partial differential equations and the use of a change of variable to solve it. The integral is bounded as t approaches zero and the solution involves using the error function. Additionally, multiplying and dividing by a specific function helps to solve the integral.
NanoMath
In the book from Evans on PDE's (page 48) I came across this integral. Here r > 0 and [itex] \delta [/itex] is an arbitrarily small number.
Could you give me some hint on how to solve this integral for all integers [itex] n\geq2 [/itex], i.e why does it go to zero as t approaches zero from the right side.
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 331
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to a change of variable of the form $$x=r/\sqrt{16t}$$.

Let [tex]K(t)=e^{\frac{-\delta^2}{16t}}[/tex]. Put K as a multiplier outside the integral sign, and 1/K inside. The integral is bounded as t ->0+, while the coefficient -> 0. As for the integral itself, it looks like it will include the error function as a term.

Thank you for replies. Actually I only needed to check that the whole expression goes to zero and multiplying and dividing through by K(t) solves it.

Related to Solving Integral for All n≥2 | Evans PDE's (Page 48)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What does n≥2 mean in this context?

n≥2 refers to the fact that the integral being solved is valid for all values of n greater than or equal to 2. This means that the solution applies to a wide range of cases and is not limited to a specific value of n.

3. What are Evans PDE's?

Evans PDE's (Partial Differential Equations) are a set of equations that describe the relationships between multiple variables in a mathematical system. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model real-world phenomena.

4. What is the significance of solving the integral for all n≥2?

Solving the integral for all n≥2 allows for a more general and comprehensive solution that can be applied to a wider range of cases. It also demonstrates a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and their applications.

5. How is the integral solved for all n≥2?

The integral can be solved using various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or using special functions. The specific approach will depend on the complexity of the integral and the techniques that are most suitable for solving it.