Solving Integer Equation: 1/x + 1/y = 1

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=1, with x and y being natural numbers. The solution x=y=2 is identified, but the possibility of other solutions is also mentioned. It is suggested to solve the equation explicitly by clearing denominators and factoring, and it is shown that there are other solutions such as x=3 and y=3/2. The possibility of extending the equation to include a third variable, \frac{1}{z}, is also raised. It is concluded that the only solution for the original equation is x=y=2 and no further verification is needed. There is also a discussion about finding divisors and the statement is made
annoymage

Homework Statement

let [tex]x,y \in N[/tex]. Solve the equation [tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

so i can see x=y=2 is the solution, hmm, isn't there any other solution.

and, this is one of three of my assignment question for 15% continuous assessment, does it seem too easy? should i prove that they are no other solution other than x=y=2?? help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't prove that there is no other solution because there are other solutions. How about x = 3 and y = (3/2)? or x = 6 and y = (5/6) ? This is an implicit function describing a curve (in this case a straight line) of some sort, which means there are infinite points (values of x and y) that satisfy the equation. Try making it an explicit function by solving for y (or x if you want) and then see what you get.

owh i forgot to wrote it, it's on the title "integer solution" hmm let me edit

Hint: If x > 2, then [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] is ... .

Petek

If [tex]x>2[/tex] then [tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}<\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{y}[/tex] and if [tex]y \geq 2[/tex], then [tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}<\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}=1[/tex]

similarly if [tex]y>2[/tex] and [tex]x \geq 2[/tex], so either case is not a solution. should i do like that?

Yes, that's the right idea.

Petek

Petek illustrates an important method, but this diophantine equation can be solved explicitly. Simply clear denominators and rearrange to get xy - x - y = 0. Now try to add a constant to both sides so that you can factor the left hand side as a product of two linear factors, similar to completing the square.

cool, i get

[tex](x-1)(y-1)=1[/tex] implies [tex](x-1)=1 \ and\ (y-1)=1[/tex]

but what if

[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}=1[/tex], i can't solve it explicitly can't i?

so i know[tex]x=y=z=3[/tex] is a solution

and i need to verify, [tex]x \in N-(3)\ ,y \in N-(3)\ ,z \in N-(3)[/tex] is not a solution

so for [tex]x=1,2[/tex] easy to verify

if [tex]x>3 \ \ \ \ [/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}<\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}[/tex] so when y=1,z=2 and y=2,z=1 and y=1,z>3 and y=2,z>3 and y>3,z=1 and y>3,z=2, is not a solution(i have to verify all these cases?)

and then repeat this tedious cases for y>3 and z>3

is that the way?

annoymage said:
cool, i get

Actually, 1 factors in two different ways over the integers:
1 = 1*1
1 = -1 * -1

Hurkyl said:
Actually, 1 factors in two different ways over the integers:
1 = 1*1
1 = -1 * -1

owh yes, thank ;P

so (x-1)=-1 =>x=0 similarly y=0, which is not a solution.

but how about this

annoymage said:
cool, i get

but what if

[tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}=1[/tex], i can't solve it explicitly can't i?

so i know[tex]x=y=z=3[/tex] is a solution

and i need to verify, [tex]x \in N-(3)\ ,y \in N-(3)\ ,z \in N-(3)[/tex] is not a solution

so for [tex]x=1,2[/tex] easy to verify

if [tex]x>3 \ \ \ \ [/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}<\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}[/tex] so when y=1,z=2 and y=2,z=1 and y=1,z>3 and y=2,z>3 and y>3,z=1 and y>3,z=2, is not a solution(i have to verify all these cases?)

and then repeat this tedious cases for y>3 and z>3

is that the way?
is this argument correct? T_T

If
[tex]
\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=1
[/tex]
Then:
[tex]
y=\frac{x}{x-1}
[/tex]
As y is an integer, we know that the above fraction is an interger, so x-1 must perfectly divide x, when can this happen?

hmm since gcd(x-1,x)=1 so x/(x-1) to be integer means x-1 must equal to 1 or -1, right?

hey, if i solve explicitly like this or like

annoymage said:
cool, i get

that's the only solution right? and other integer is not a solution?? and i don't need to verify others is not a solution right?? right right? is it right?

Correct, but you can get rid of one of the options with a bit of thought. I was mainly thinking that if x is an integer then the greatest divisor must be x/2 if x is even or less if x is odd.

wait what you mean by
hunt_mat said:
you can get rid of one of the options with a bit of thought
?and thanks for this clue
hunt_mat said:
if x is an integer then the greatest divisor must be x/2 if x is even or less if x is odd.

i'm interesting to prove that statement ;P

Last edited:
I always loathed number theory. Look at the what x-1=1 and x-1=-1 and see what it means with the original equation.

As with the rule, it was just an observation. I have no idea how to prove it.

Related to Solving Integer Equation: 1/x + 1/y = 1

1. What is an integer equation?

An integer equation is a mathematical equation in which all variables and coefficients are integers, or whole numbers. In other words, there are no fractions or decimals involved.

2. How do you solve an integer equation?

To solve an integer equation, you must isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on both sides of the equation. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation and the constant on the other side.

3. What is the process for solving the equation 1/x + 1/y = 1?

To solve the equation 1/x + 1/y = 1, you can begin by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of x and y. This will eliminate the fractions and leave you with a simpler equation to solve. From there, you can use algebraic operations to isolate the variable you are solving for and find its value.

4. Can you explain how to find the LCM of two numbers?

The LCM (least common multiple) of two numbers is the smallest positive number that is divisible by both numbers. To find the LCM, you can list out the multiples of each number and find the smallest number that appears in both lists. Alternatively, you can use prime factorization to find the LCM. This involves breaking down each number into its prime factors and then multiplying the common factors together.

5. Are there any restrictions or special cases to consider when solving the equation 1/x + 1/y = 1?

Yes, when solving the equation 1/x + 1/y = 1, it is important to note that x and y cannot both equal 0. In addition, if x or y is equal to 1, the equation is not solvable since dividing by 1 would result in the other variable being undefined. Also, if x or y is negative, there may be multiple solutions, depending on the context of the problem.