Solving Int. with Trig Substitution for Beginners

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking guidance on using trigonometric substitution to solve a calculus problem. They are unsure about what to substitute and the other party suggests simplifying the expression first.
stihl29

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{1+x}+\sqrt{1-x}} { \sqrt{1+x}-\sqrt{1-x}}{dx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I believe trig substitution can be used here. I'm not very good at calculus only beginning to take calc classes, and guideance would be wonderful. because i want to get better.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any idea on what to substitute.
x = some thing like x^2 ??
or u = 1 - x
and u = 1 + x ??

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you want to do is simplify the expression algebraically. It will help to rationalize the denominator by multiplying numerator and denominator by sqrt(1-x)+sqrt(1+x). The trick here is that (sqrt(a)-sqrt(b))*(sqrt(a)+sqrt(b))=a-b. Try simplifying it and see how far you can get.

ohhhh, thank you, i can't attempt it at this moment but your solution looks promising !

Related to Solving Int. with Trig Substitution for Beginners

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used to solve integrals that involve expressions with square roots and/or quadratic terms. It involves substituting the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function, which simplifies the integral into one that can be easily solved using trigonometric identities.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution should be used when the integral involves expressions with square roots, quadratic terms, or both. These types of integrals can be difficult to solve using other methods, and trigonometric substitution can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution?

The appropriate trigonometric substitution to use depends on the expression in the integral. Some common substitutions include using sine or cosine when the expression contains factors of the form √(a^2 - x^2), and using tangent when the expression contains factors of the form √(x^2 + a^2).

4. What are some tips for solving integrals with trigonometric substitution?

Some tips for solving integrals with trigonometric substitution include making sure to choose the appropriate substitution, being careful with signs and constants, and simplifying the integral before solving it. It is also helpful to be familiar with trigonometric identities and their derivatives.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using trigonometric substitution?

One common mistake to watch out for when using trigonometric substitution is forgetting to substitute the differential dx when substituting the variable. It is also important to be careful with signs and constants, and to simplify the integral before solving it. It is also helpful to double check the solution by differentiating it to make sure it is correct.