Solving Inhomogeneous Wave PDE with Separation of Variables on (0,pi)

• Thread starter jacoleen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses using separation of variables to solve a problem involving utt=uxx-u, with given initial and boundary conditions. The conversation also mentions using Duhamel's principle and separating the problem into two separate problems. The expert provides a hint to use separation of variables and later confirms that this method is correct.
jacoleen
Problem:

Use separation of variables to solve
utt = uxx-u;
u(x, 0) = 0;
ut(x, 0) = 1 + cos3 x;
on the interval (0, pi), with the homogeneous Dirichlet boundary conditions.

Question:

I know how to use separation of variables, but can`t figure out what to do with the u in the equation utt=uxx=u..any hints please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Duhammel's principle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duhamel's_principle

seperate this problem to the next problem:

v_tt-v_xx=0
v(x,0)=0
v_t(x,0)=1+cos^3(x)

and
w_tt-w_xx= -u(x,t)
w(x,0)=0
w_t(x,0)=0

So u(x,t)=w(x,t)+v(x,t)

For the w use Duhamel, for v separation of variables.

Never mind what I wrote, you can solve it by seperation:

u(x,t)= T(t)X(x)

u_tt = T''(t) X(x) = T(t)X''(x)-TX
divide by XT and get T''/T= X''/X-1
one side depends on t the other side on x so both of them are constant.

oh wow, I can`t believe i didnt think of dong that..thanks! :D

one more question, when i separate my variables i get
X(x) = Ae(1-lamba2)1/2x + Be-(1-lamba2)1/2x
T(t) = Csin(lamba*t)+Dcos(lamba*t),
but when I solve it I get all my coefficients equal to zero..are these the right equations?

Related to Solving Inhomogeneous Wave PDE with Separation of Variables on (0,pi)

What is an inhomogeneous wave PDE?

An inhomogeneous wave PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a medium that varies in space and time. It takes into account external forces or sources that can affect the wave, making it more complex than a homogeneous wave PDE which assumes a constant medium.

What are the key components of an inhomogeneous wave PDE?

The key components of an inhomogeneous wave PDE are the dependent variable (typically denoted by u), the independent variables (x, y, and t), and the coefficients that represent the spatial and temporal variations of the medium and any external forces or sources influencing the wave. The equation also includes derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variables.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous wave PDE?

The main difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous wave PDE is that the former assumes a constant medium without any external forces or sources, while the latter takes into account the variable nature of the medium and any external influences. This makes the inhomogeneous wave PDE more complex and challenging to solve.

What are some real-world applications of inhomogeneous wave PDEs?

Inhomogeneous wave PDEs have many practical applications, including modeling the behavior of sound waves in a varying medium, predicting the propagation of seismic waves in the Earth's crust, and studying the transmission of electromagnetic waves through materials with varying properties. They are also used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of waves in complex systems and structures.

What mathematical techniques are used to solve inhomogeneous wave PDEs?

Solving inhomogeneous wave PDEs often involves using techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier transform, and Laplace transform. These methods allow for the separation of the equation into simpler equations that can be solved individually. Other techniques such as Green's functions and numerical methods may also be used depending on the specific problem and its complexity.