PDE Wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the wave equation with an initial displacement and a request to sketch the solution at different time points. The person is struggling with the boundaries and odd/even reflections, but is able to use d'Alemberts to solve for u. They mention that the string has an infinite domain and ask for help with the initial velocity.
Robconway
Homework problem:

For the wave equation:

Utt-Uxx=0, t>0, xER

u(x,0)=

1, |x|<1

0, |x|>1

sketch the solution u as a function of x at t= 1/2, 1, 2, and 3

I am able to use d'Alemberts and solve for u however the boundaries and the odd/even reflections are throwing me off and I don't know how to do this. Any help would be great thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robconway said:
Homework problem:For the wave equation:

Utt-Uxx=0, t>0, xER

u(x,0)=

1, |x|<1

0, |x|>1

sketch the solution u as a function of x at t= 1/2, 1, 2, and 3I am able to use d'Alemberts and solve for u however the boundaries and the odd/even reflections are throwing me off and I don't know how to do this. Any help would be great thank you.

What boundaries? This is an infinite string with ##x## domain ##(-\infty,\infty)##. You have given an initial displacement but the d'Alembert solution also requires an initial velocity ##u_t(x,0)##. Did you leave that out? Is it ##0##? If so, just plot the traveling waves.

Related to PDE Wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries

1. What is a PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries?

A PDE (partial differential equation) wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries is a mathematical model that describes how a wave propagates through a medium. The phi(x) term represents the initial conditions or boundaries of the wave, which can affect how it evolves over time.

2. What is the significance of using phi(x) as initial boundaries in the PDE wave equation?

The phi(x) term in the PDE wave equation allows us to specify the initial conditions or boundaries of the wave. This can be useful in understanding how the wave will behave and how it may interact with other objects or forces in the medium.

3. How is the PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries solved?

The PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods. These methods help us find a solution that satisfies both the wave equation and the specified initial conditions or boundaries.

4. Can the PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries be applied to real-world phenomena?

Yes, the PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to model a wide range of phenomena, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and even quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries?

Like any mathematical model, the PDE wave equation with phi(x) as initial boundaries has its limitations. It assumes a linear and homogeneous medium, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not accurately capture certain complex phenomena, such as wave interactions with boundaries or non-uniform media.