Solving inequality with absolute values |3x-2|<=x+1

In general it is necessary because a>b is not the same as a>=b when a and b are real numbers.In summary, In order to solve inequalities with absolute values, it is important to consider two cases: when the value inside the absolute value is positive and when it is negative. By applying the definition of absolute value correctly, it is possible to find the solution by reuniting the partial solutions. However, in some cases, it may not be necessary to consider the values separately and the solution can be found by simply intersecting the conditions given by the two cases.
gillgill
1) │3x-2│<= x+1 ; x>=-1
Case1: 3x-2>=0
x>= 2/3
3x-2<=x+1
x<=3/2

what is case 2?

2) │2-3x│ < 3x-4

3) │x-3│=x-2
How do u solve these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the definition of the absolute value correctly.
Case 1.3x-2>=0 (therefore x>=2/3) -------->3x-2<=x+1------------>x<=3/2.The solution:[tex] x\in [\frac{2}{3},\frac{3}{2}] [/tex]

Case 2.3x-2<0 (therefore x<2/3)---------->-(3x-2)<=x+1------------>x>=1/4.The solution is:[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{2}{3}) [/tex]

The solution of the problem is found by reuniting the partial solutions
[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{2}{3}] [/tex]

Do the same for the other 2...

Daniel.

Last edited:
how do u know case 2 would be -(3x-2)<=x+1 with a negative sign?

Because that's the definition of the absolute value
|x|=x,for x>=0 and -x for x<0...

Daniel.

hm...can u do one more for me?

Nope.What is the result of applying the definition of an absolute value to point b)...?

Daniel.

What point b?

hm...ok...let me try
case 1: 2-3x>=0
x<=2/3

dextercioby said:
Apply the definition of the absolute value correctly.
Case 1.3x-2>=0 (therefore x>=2/3) -------->3x-2<=x+1------------>x<=3/2.The solution:[tex] x\in [\frac{2}{3},\frac{3}{2}] [/tex]

Case 2.3x-2<0 (therefore x<2/3)---------->-(3x-2)<=x+1------------>x>=1/4.The solution is:[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{2}) [/tex]

I believe the above should be:
[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{2}{3}) [/tex]

And the final solution, union:
[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{2}] [/tex]

I don't think you need to consider the value inside the || separately for positive and negative. (Unless your teacher wants you to do it that way to fully understand the steps.)

For the first question, I'd just say:
│3x-2│<= x+1 so
-(x+1)<=3x-2<=x+1
or in other words
-(x+1)<=3x-2 AND 3x-2<=x+1
The first inequality gives x>=1/4, the second gives x<=3/2

The solution is the intersection of x>=1/4 and x<=3/2, so the solution is:
1/4<=x<=3/2

Although it is instructive to consider separately the positive and negative values inside ||, it isn't necessary to solve the inequality.

Do you mean consider the value of x is bigger or equal to 2/3 first? or Less than or equal ?
In the past, I have tried inequalities that with several absolute sign inside. It is extremely important to define the value first.
However, I haven't learned this in my lessons. Maybe later. Therefore, I don't know whether in this question this distinction is needed.

I don't see why it is necessary...

if |a|<b, then

we know that a<b and a>-b

This is true whether or not a is positive or negative or 0.

If |a|>b, then

we know that a>b or a<-b. This statement is also true whether or not a is positive or negative or zero.

learningphysics said:
I believe the above should be:
[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{2}{3}) [/tex]

And the final solution, union:
[tex] x\in [\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{2}] [/tex]

Yes,thank you for noticing.I edited my post and now it's "dandy"... :wink:

Daniel.

Yes. It is not necessary for this case.

Related to Solving inequality with absolute values |3x-2|<=x+1

1. How do I solve absolute value inequalities?

To solve an absolute value inequality, you need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you can remove the absolute value bars and rewrite the inequality as two separate inequalities. Finally, solve each inequality separately to find the solution set.

2. What is the difference between solving absolute value equations and inequalities?

The main difference between solving absolute value equations and inequalities is that when solving an equation, you are looking for the specific value(s) that make the equation true. In contrast, when solving an inequality, you are looking for the range of values that make the inequality true.

3. How do I know when to flip the inequality sign when solving an absolute value inequality?

When solving an absolute value inequality, you need to flip the inequality sign when the absolute value expression has a negative coefficient. This is because absolute value represents distance, so a negative coefficient would indicate a distance going in the opposite direction.

4. Can I use the same steps to solve all absolute value inequalities?

Yes, the same steps can be used to solve all absolute value inequalities. However, you may need to adjust the steps slightly depending on whether the absolute value expression is being multiplied by a constant or a variable.

5. How can solving absolute value inequalities help address societal issues like inequality?

Solving absolute value inequalities can help address societal issues like inequality by providing a way to represent and analyze the disparities in a quantitative manner. By understanding the solutions to these inequalities, we can better identify and address the root causes of inequality and work towards creating a more equal society.