Displacement as a discrete function of time

In summary, given initial displacement ##X_0## and displacement at any time ##t## as ##x##, there is no method to find ##x(t)## as an explicit function of time.
Apashanka
Homework Statement
Given initial displacement ##X_0## and displacement at any time ##t## as ##x##.

Where ##x(t)=f_t(X_0)## where the functional dependence of ##x## upon ##X_0## changes with time.

For exm ##X_0=2## and ##x(t_1)=X^2_0=4,x(t_2)=X^2_0+1=5,x(t_3)=X_0^3+3=11....##and so on.

From this, is there any method to find ##x(t)## as an explicit function of time??(##X_0=##constt,initial fixed coord.)

Another part from above we find ##dx=(\partial_{X_0}f_t(X_0))dX_0## and hence in 3-D ##d^3x=\Pi_i (\partial_{X_i} f_t(X_i)d^3X##

Therefore at any time the volume will be ##\Pi_i f_t(X_i)## isn't it??
Relevant Equations

Where ##x(t)=f_t(X_0)## where the functional dependence of ##x## upon ##X_0## changes with time.

For exm ##X_0=2## and ##x(t_1)=X^2_0=4,x(t_2)=X^2_0+1=5,x(t_3)=X_0^3+3=11....##and so on.

From this, is there any method to find ##x(t)## as an explicit function of time??(##X_0=##constt,initial fixed coord.)

Another part from above we find ##dx=(\partial_{X_0}f_t(X_0))dX_0## and hence in 3-D ##d^3x=\Pi_i (\partial_{X_i} f_t(X_i)d^3X##

For exm ##X_0=2## and ##x(t_1)=X^2_0=4,x(t_2)=X^2_0+1=5,x(t_3)=X_0^3+3=11...##and so on.

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Likes hutchphd
jbriggs444 said:
No.
Then what will be will you please help??

Apashanka said:
Then what will be will you please help??
As I understand it, you are interested in interpolation. There is no unique way of assigning a curve through a set of discrete points. Various approaches are possible such as linear interpolation, interpolating polynomials, cubic splines and least squares fit to a [insert function family here].

Typically, one wants to find a function family that is well motivated physically and then use a least squares approach to zero in on a suitable family member.

Last edited:
Likes Apashanka and berkeman
jbriggs444 said:
As I understand it, you are interested in interpolation. There is no unique way of assigning a curve through a set of discrete points. Various approaches are possible such as linear interpolation, interpolating polynomials, cubic splines and least squares fit to a [insert function family here].

Typically, one wants to find a function family that is well motivated physically and then use a least squares approach to zero in on a suitable family member.
Is the volume expression correct what I have posted above??

No.

jbriggs444 said:
No.
Then what it will be ??

See response #4 above.

jbriggs444 said:
See response #4 above.
I am asking for the volume expression e.g ##d^3x## in my first post

Apashanka said:
I am asking for the volume expression e.g ##d^3x## in my first post
First you have to define x. As #4 points out, you cannot do that merely by stating a finite number of values. The idea that the third derivative of x (with respect to time?) is a "volume" is disconcerting as well.

jbriggs444 said:
First you have to define x. As #4 points out, you cannot do that merely by stating a finite number of values.
What I am asking is as ##x=f_t(X)## at any time ##t## then ##dx=\partial_X f_t(X) dX## and in 3-D it becomes ##d^3x=\Pi_i \partial_{X_i}f_t(X_i) d^3X## also sometimes called ##d^3x=Jd^3X##.
Integrating both sides can it be written ##v(t)=\Pi_i f_t(X_i)## for given ##Xi's##..??(##f_t(X)## known for any finite time)

Apashanka said:
What I am asking is as ##x=f_t(X)## at any time ##t## then ##dx=\partial_X f_t(X) dX## and in 3-D it becomes ##d^3x=\Pi_i \partial_{X_i}f_t(X_i) d^3X## also sometimes called ##d^3x=Jd^3X##.
Integrating both sides can it be written ##v(t)=\Pi_i f_t(X_i)## for given ##Xi's##..??
I see a lot of notation with nary a definition in sight.

Likes Dr_Nate
Apashanka said:
Integrating both sides can it be written ##v(t)=\Pi_i f_t(X_i)## for given ##Xi's##..??(##f_t(X)## known for any finite time)
Presumably you mean ##x(X,t)=f_t(X)##, and since t is continuous that is effectively ##x(X,t)=f(t,X)##. So ##dx=\partial_X f(t,X) dX+\partial_t f(t,X) dt##.

But you seem not to be concerned with t as a variable, so let's make it simpler by getting rid of it: ##x(X)=f(X)##, ##dx=f'(X) dX##.

Your volume differential is then ##d^3x=\Pi_i f'(X_i) d^3X=Jd^3X##, but I'm not sure you can integrate that as ##v=\Pi_i f(X_i)##. Need to think about the bounds.

Likes Apashanka
haruspex said:
Presumably you mean ##x(X,t)=f_t(X)##, and since t is continuous that is effectively ##x(X,t)=f(t,X)##. So ##dx=\partial_X f(t,X) dX+\partial_t f(t,X) dt##.

But you seem not to be concerned with t as a variable, so let's make it simpler by getting rid of it: ##x(X)=f(X)##, ##dx=f'(X) dX##.

Your volume differential is then ##d^3x=\Pi_i f'(X_i) d^3X=Jd^3X##, but I'm not sure you can integrate that as ##v=\Pi_i f(X_i)##. Need to think about the bounds.
I am not taking ##x## as an explicit function of ##t## , although ##x## varies with ##t##...to take this into account ##x## at any ##t## is ##f_t(X)## where the functional dependence changes with time given ##X## fixed initial coordinate.
For exm for given ##X=2## say ##x## at ##t_1## varies as ##X^2##,at ##t_2## as ##X^2+2## ,at ##t_3## as ##X+15## and so on...

Apashanka said:
I am not taking ##x## as an explicit function of ##t## , although ##x## varies with ##t##...to take this into account ##x## at any ##t## is ##f_t(X)## where the functional dependence changes with time given ##X## fixed initial coordinate.
For exm for given ##X=2## say ##x## at ##t_1## varies as ##X^2##,at ##t_2## as ##X^2+2## ,at ##t_3## as ##X+15## and so on...
So although t is time it is a discrete variable, and does not really enter into the matter as far as the thread is concerned.

Likes Apashanka

Related to Displacement as a discrete function of time

1. What is displacement as a discrete function of time?

Displacement as a discrete function of time refers to the measurement of an object's change in position over a specific time interval. It is a mathematical representation of an object's motion and is often used in physics and engineering.

2. How is displacement calculated as a discrete function of time?

To calculate displacement as a discrete function of time, you need to know the initial position of the object, its velocity, and the time interval. You can use the formula: Displacement = Initial Position + (Velocity x Time).

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Displacement refers to the change in an object's position from its starting point, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by the object.

4. How does displacement relate to velocity and acceleration?

Displacement is directly related to velocity and acceleration. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Therefore, displacement is a key factor in determining an object's velocity and acceleration.

5. How is displacement represented graphically?

Displacement can be represented graphically by plotting the change in position of an object over time. The x-axis represents time, and the y-axis represents displacement. The slope of the displacement-time graph indicates the object's velocity, and the curvature of the graph indicates the object's acceleration.