Solving Homework: Polar Coordinates Issue on Volume

In summary, the problem is to find the volume inside a prism bounded by specific planes and a cone. The solution involves using polar coordinates and finding the area under a specific equation. The limits for ##\theta## are ##0 ≤ \theta ≤ \frac{\pi}{4}## and the limits for ##r## are ##0 ≤ r ≤ \frac{a}{\cos(\theta) \sqrt{2}}##. The solution can be obtained using calculus and involves a cylinder and a cone.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

My answer seems to differ from the books answer, so I'm wondering where something has gone wrong.

Find the volume inside the prism bounded by the planes ##y = x##, ##y = 0##, ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##, ##z = 0## and the cone ##az = h\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##.

Homework Equations

We want the area under ##z = \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

When i visualized this, I saw a triangle in the x-y plane formed by ##y = x##, ##y = 0##, and ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##, which gets cut by ##z = \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}## in the x-y-z plane.

So we want:

$$V_R = \int \int_R \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dA$$

Using polar co-ordinates gives:

##(1) rsin(\theta) = 0 \quad##
##(2) rsin(\theta) = rcos(\theta)##
##(3) rcos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##
##(4) f(rcos(\theta), rsin(\theta)) = \frac{h}{a} r##

Looking at ##(2)## implies ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}## so that ##0 ≤ \theta ≤ \frac{\pi}{4}##.

The limits for ##r## have proven a little tricky. The answer is listed as:

##\frac{a^2 h}{12} [1 + \frac{3 \sqrt{2}}{2} \log(1 + \sqrt{2})]##

I have obtained the answer ##\frac{a^2 h \pi}{12}## using ##0 ≤ r ≤ a##, which is obviously incorrect, but indicates my limits for ##\theta## make physical sense, so I believe the limits for ##r## are the issue. I can't seem to visualize them properly right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Do you need to use calculus?

I drew a picture of it and it looks like cylinder with a cone inside and y=x and y=0 planes indicate 1/8 of the volume.

You should already know the volume of a cylinder and a cone right.

Calculus is the bread and butter of all that is true. So forgive me if I'm firm about using it.

Where is the cylinder coming from exactly? The lines ##y=0##, ##y=x## and ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}## give a triangle with a varying height in the x-y plane (based on ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##).

Zondrina said:
Calculus is the bread and butter of all that is true. So forgive me if I'm firm about using it.

Where is the cylinder coming from exactly? The lines ##y=0##, ##y=x## and ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}## give a triangle with a varying height in the x-y plane (based on ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##).

I thought I saw a cylinder with cone defining its upper edge but had forgotten about the x=a/sqrt(2) plane

Why are you even using polar coordinates here? It's more straightforward to describe the area of integration using cartesian coordinates.

Re-arranging the equation for the cone a bit:

##az = h \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \Rightarrow \frac{z^2}{h^2} = \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{a^2}##

I see that it opens up in the z-direction and the top of the cone should be a perfect circle of radius ##a##. I still can't see how to get the radius otherwise.

The book says it is possible to find the solution with polar co-ordinates, and I would like to find a solution using them.

You have that triangle you described in the xy plane. Use it to get the polar limits. ##r## goes from ##0## to the ##r## value on the line ##x=\frac a{\sqrt 2}##. What is the equation of that line in polar coordinates?

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
You have that triangle you described in the xy plane. Use it to get the polar limits. ##r## goes from ##0## to the ##r## value on the line ##x=a\sqrt 2##. What is the equation of that line in polar coordinates?

That would correspond to equation ##(3)## in my first post I believe.

$$r \cos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Though I doubt that ##0 ≤ r ≤ \frac{a}{cos(\theta) \sqrt{2}}##

Zondrina said:
That would correspond to equation ##(3)## in my first post I believe.

$$r \cos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Though I doubt that ##0 ≤ r ≤ \frac{a}{cos(\theta) \sqrt{2}}##

Why do you doubt it? If you start at ##r=0## and move through the region in the ##r## direction, isn't that the line you hit? And I would suggest expressing that with ##\sec\theta## when you set up the integral.

LCKurtz said:
Why do you doubt it? If you start at ##r=0## and move through the region in the ##r## direction, isn't that the line you hit? And I would suggest expressing that with ##\sec\theta## when you set up the integral.

I am never going to believe wolfram again.

I think I understand now that you have clarified that. Thank you.

Related to Solving Homework: Polar Coordinates Issue on Volume

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used to solve volume problems?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in a plane. They consist of a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle from a reference axis (known as the polar angle). In solving volume problems, polar coordinates are used to represent points in three-dimensional space, allowing us to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

2. How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, we use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
Where r is the radius and θ is the polar angle. To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, we use the following formulas:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1(y/x)
Where x and y are the coordinates in the Cartesian system.

3. What is the formula for calculating volume using polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating volume using polar coordinates is V = ∫∫∫ r * sin(θ) dr dθ dz, where r is the radius, θ is the polar angle, and z is the height of the object. This formula involves integrating over the region of the object in the polar coordinate system.

4. How do you set up the integral to solve a volume problem using polar coordinates?

To set up the integral, we first need to determine the limits for each variable (r, θ, z) based on the given problem. Then, we use the formula V = ∫∫∫ r * sin(θ) dr dθ dz and substitute in the appropriate limits. We then solve the integral to find the volume of the object.

5. Can polar coordinates be used to solve any volume problem?

No, polar coordinates are most commonly used to solve volume problems for objects with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. For more complex shapes, it may be necessary to use other coordinate systems such as Cartesian coordinates or spherical coordinates.