Solving Heat Transfer Puzzle: Cooling Steel from 452°C to 100°C

In summary, the foundry operator finds that it takes 55.3 MJ of heat to heat a 286 kg mass of an alloy steel from 22 degrees C to 452 degrees C.
Yomna
Hey People...um this is a question i got for school...i know what was used to solve it but i can't understand how that method was used and why they did that...

it says:
A foundry operator finds that it takes 55.3MJ of heat to heat a 286 kg mass of an alloy steel from 22 degrees C to 452 degrees C.

The first thing they ask us is to find the specific heat capacity for the steel...which is pretty straight forward..:
c= Q/m*delta T
Q= 55.3 MJ
m=286
delta T=430
(55.3*10^6)/(430*286)
=4.5*10^2 J per Kg per kelvin..

The next bit is what's bothering me...
it says:

If the foundry worker cools the steel by pouring water onto it, the water will heat up to its boiling point, then it will boil. What minimum mass of water, initially at 22 degrees C, would cool the hot steel down to 100 degrees C?

I really don't know what to do here...
Can someone please help? and like..explain?
Thank u so much.
Yomna

:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:What is the heat that the steel gives away to drop its temp from 452°C to 100°C...?

Daniel.

Well..i thought of that.
I use thermal eguilibrum ryt?
In the answers it is written:
Q(total)=-55.3x10^6=mc delta T(of water) + mL (water)
I just don't understand why they did that. When i tried this i just did:

Q(total)=mc delta T (of water)...can u tell me why they added the heat taken to evaporate the water?
And why did they put -55.3 instead of 55.3?

Thanks.
Yomna

I don't know what wicked sign conventions they have,but here's how i do it.

The heat the water receives to reach boiling point is taken from the cooling metal.The heat gave away by the metal while cooling is simply

[tex] Q_{gave \ away}=:Q=m_{metal}c_{metal}(452 \deg \ C-100 \deg \ C) \ [J] [/tex]

U get a #.Okay u know that this heat is neceassary for an unknown mass of water to reach boiling point when heated from 22°C...So

[tex] Q=m_{water}c_{water}(100 \deg \ C-22 \deg \ C) \ [J] [/tex]

U know Q (found above),u can take [itex] c_{water}\approx 4185J \ \left(Kg\right)^{-1} (deg \ C)^{-1} [/itex] and u need to find [itex] m_{water} [/itex].

So do it.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Last one :D

Hey..sorry ...but just one last question..
does latent heat have anything to do with this question then?
Thanks
Yomna

Yomna said:
Hey..sorry ...but just one last question..
does latent heat have anything to do with this question then?
Thanks
Yomna

You can answer this question for yourself if you just realize that latent heat is the heat necessary to make the actual phase-transition. For example when you heat up ice (-5°) to water (+5°) you will need to look at three things :

1) heat necessary for the ice to go from -5° to 0°
2) heat necessary for ice to transform into water (ie latent heat)
3) heat necessary for water to go from 0° to 5°

marlon

"(...)the water will heat up to its boiling point, then it will boil.".So it mentions boiling,too.My analysis,didn't include it.U may take it into account,if u want to.In that case,the total mass of water (determined above) would be different.

Daniel.

Well...i understand it now
Cos it asked for the minimum mass of water needed...
So they added the energy taken to heat it to 100 degrees then the energy taken to evaporate that minimum amount of water...
so that's why they did...

Q= mc delta T + mLv

So i think that was just my main concern..i didnt know why they added the latent heat too.

Thanks for all ur help :D

Yomna.

Because adding that heat reduce the amount of water.If u did compute the water needed in the first case and now in the second,u'd have seen the difference & the relevance of the formulation "minimum amount of water".

Daniel.

1. How does heat transfer affect the temperature of steel?

Heat transfer is the process by which thermal energy is exchanged between different objects or systems. In the case of cooling steel from 452°C to 100°C, heat transfer occurs as the hot steel releases thermal energy to its cooler surroundings, causing its temperature to decrease.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in cooling steel?

The rate of heat transfer in cooling steel is influenced by several factors, including the initial temperature of the steel, the ambient temperature, the surface area of the steel, and the material properties of the steel.

3. What methods can be used to cool steel from 452°C to 100°C?

There are several methods that can be used to cool steel from 452°C to 100°C, including natural convection, forced convection, radiation, and conduction. Each method involves the transfer of heat from the hot steel to its cooler surroundings.

4. How long does it take to cool steel from 452°C to 100°C?

The time it takes to cool steel from 452°C to 100°C depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the steel, the surrounding temperature, and the cooling method used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the steel to reach the desired temperature.

5. What are some potential applications of solving the heat transfer puzzle for cooling steel?

The knowledge and understanding gained from solving the heat transfer puzzle for cooling steel can have various practical applications. For example, it can be applied in the manufacturing of steel products, such as cars and appliances, to ensure proper cooling and prevent warping or cracking. It can also be used in the design and optimization of industrial processes, such as steel production, where precise temperature control is critical.