Solving Geometric Puzzles: Prisms & Balloons, Polygons & Tension

• Thread starter sebassen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polygons
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of prisms attached to a balloon and their impact on inflating it. It also touches on the topic of basalt columns and their hexagonal shape. The questions raised are related to the potential limitations of inflating a balloon with attached prisms and the reason behind basalt columns having less superficial tension. The conversation highlights the need for context in understanding these concepts and provides resources for further reading.
sebassen
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about these questions and would like to know if you can come up with their answers:

1. if you attach prisms to a balloon and inflate it, will the prisms make it impossible to keep inflating it at some time? Talking about "formulas", why?

2. why do grounds made with prisms ("polygonal granoblastic texture") have less superficial tension than any other ground?

Thx a lot,

Sebassen

Physics news on Phys.org
1. depends on the prisms and how they are attached.
2. because they have more meaningful tensions and, being quite serious structures, cannot be bothered with anything superficial. The resulting coffee is no help.
... this is why you need to provide a context for your questions.

1. the prisms have hexagonal base and are glued to the balloon. Then, as you inflate the balloon, they assemble.
2. xD
I'm trying to understand basalt columns, whether they are hexagonal for allowing expansion or whaat

Well hexagons tessellate to a flat surface.
Can you provide an example?

Of course if you inflate a balloon inside a structure designed to become rigid at some point in the inflation then of course that would restrict the amount the balloon can inflate. Like I could cover it in interlocking steel plates.

"Superficial tension" would be surface tension to everyone else right?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/surten.html

Basalt column like at Giant's Causway are not predominantly hexagonal - go look at some. The mean number of sides is, indeed, six - but when you look at them and walk over them the "hexagonalness" is not particularly striking.
[see: D. Weaire and N. Rivier. Contemporary Physics 25 1 (1984), pp. 55-99]

More accessible discussion:
http://giantcrystals.strahlen.org/europe/basalt.htm

Hello Sebassen,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on geometric puzzles involving prisms and balloons, as well as polygons and tension. I find these questions quite intriguing and would be happy to provide some insights on them.

1. If you attach prisms to a balloon and inflate it, will the prisms make it impossible to keep inflating it at some time?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as the size and weight of the prisms, the material of the balloon, and the amount of air being pumped into the balloon. In general, adding prisms to a balloon will increase its weight and reduce its overall elasticity, making it more difficult to inflate. However, whether it becomes impossible to inflate at some point will also depend on the strength of the material and the amount of air pressure the balloon can withstand before bursting. As for "formulas", there are various equations that can be used to calculate the force and pressure exerted on the balloon as it is being inflated, taking into account the weight and shape of the prisms.

2. Why do grounds made with prisms ("polygonal granoblastic texture") have less superficial tension than any other ground?

This is an interesting question and I would like to clarify that "polygonal granoblastic texture" is not a commonly used term in the scientific community. However, based on my understanding, it could refer to a type of ground made up of polygonal shaped prisms, similar to a crystal structure. In this case, the reason for the reduced surface tension could be due to the overall shape and arrangement of the prisms, which allows for more space between them and therefore less contact and tension between the surfaces. Additionally, the material of the prisms could also play a role in reducing surface tension. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the phenomenon.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Keep exploring and thinking about these types of puzzles, as they can lead to interesting scientific discoveries. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Related to Solving Geometric Puzzles: Prisms & Balloons, Polygons & Tension

1. How do I solve a geometric puzzle involving prisms and balloons?

To solve a geometric puzzle involving prisms and balloons, you will need to carefully analyze the given shapes and their properties. This may involve identifying the type of prism and the number of sides on the polygonal base, as well as considering the volume and surface area of the balloon. Once you have a clear understanding of the shapes involved, you can use mathematical principles such as volume and surface area formulas to determine the solution.

2. What strategies can I use to solve a geometric puzzle with polygons and tension?

When solving a geometric puzzle with polygons and tension, it is important to first identify the type of polygon and the number of sides. You can then use geometric principles such as angles and side lengths to determine the tension in the puzzle. Additionally, you may need to consider the balance and symmetry of the puzzle to find the correct solution.

3. Are there any specific tools or techniques that can help me solve geometric puzzles?

While there are no specific tools or techniques that are universally applicable to solving all geometric puzzles, there are some helpful strategies that you can use. These include drawing the shapes and labeling their properties, breaking the puzzle down into smaller parts, and using trial and error to test potential solutions.

4. Can geometric puzzles help improve my problem-solving skills?

Yes, solving geometric puzzles can definitely help improve problem-solving skills. These puzzles require you to think critically and creatively, make connections between different geometric concepts, and use logical reasoning to find a solution. Regular practice with geometric puzzles can help develop these skills, which can be useful in many other areas of life.

5. Are there any online resources or communities for solving geometric puzzles?

Yes, there are many online resources and communities dedicated to solving geometric puzzles. These include websites with puzzle collections, forums where puzzle enthusiasts can discuss and share solutions, and social media groups where members can collaborate and challenge each other with new puzzles. These resources can be a great way to improve your skills and connect with other puzzle enthusiasts.