Solving Frobenius Method Problems: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Heat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frobenius
In summary, the conversation is about using the method of Frobenius to find solutions near x=0 for a differential equation. The person has attempted to solve it but is unsure where they went wrong. They have noticed a discrepancy between their answer and the one in the back of the book and are seeking help.
Heat
Am I missing something in the Frobenius method??

Homework Statement

Use the method of Frobenius to find solutions near x= 0 of each of the differential equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2 y'' + (2x^2 + 3x)y' + (x-(5/4))y = 0

My work is as follows:

http://imgur.com/3XvP4.jpg

I don't know where I went wrong, or what I'm doing wrong. My r's are correct of 1/2 and -5/2.

I use r =1/2 first, and when I evaluate for n = 1 I get...

..x^1/2 [c_o - c_o/2 x + c_o/5 x^2 + 2c_o /5 + ...]

the answer in the back of the book has the last line in that pic. I know that I haven't finished solving for the other r, but the portion that is circles with the arrow, does not match what I have so far. I noticed they have their sigma starting at n=0. I tried evaluating them for the n's but my answer differ. :(

please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Heat said:
I know that I haven't finished solving for the other r, but the portion that is circles with the arrow, does not match what I have so far. I noticed they have their sigma starting at n=0. I tried evaluating them for the n's but my answer differ. :(

please help.

There's your problem. Remember, the r=-5/2 series will also have terms of order x1/2, x3/2, etc. When you add the terms of these orders from both your r=1/2 and r=-5/2 series together, you should get the right answer.

I'll go ahead and do that, will post back.

Thanks gabba.

Related to Solving Frobenius Method Problems: Tips & Tricks

What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique for solving differential equations with regular singular points. It involves expressing the solution as a power series and then using recurrence relations to determine the coefficients.

What are some common tips for solving Frobenius method problems?

Some common tips for solving Frobenius method problems include: identifying the singular point, determining the indicial equation, finding the recurrence relation, and using the initial conditions to solve for the coefficients.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Frobenius method?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that the indicial equation has only one solution. It is possible for the equation to have multiple solutions, which can lead to incorrect solutions for the coefficients.

When should the Frobenius method be used?

The Frobenius method should be used when solving differential equations with regular singular points. It is particularly useful for equations that cannot be solved using other methods, such as separation of variables or the method of variation of parameters.

How can the Frobenius method be applied to real-world problems?

The Frobenius method can be applied to various real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of a spring-mass system or to analyze the growth of a population over time.