Solving Fraction Addition with Denominators 33 and 48: Finding the LCD

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, in order to add fractions with denominators of 33 and 48, the least common denominator (LCD) is 240 which is the least common multiple (LCM) of the two denominators. The prime factorizations of 33 and 48 are 3 * 11 and 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 3, respectively. However, this does not yield a product of 240. The mistake was that the denominators given were actually 30 and 48, with a LCD of 240. The LCD is also equivalent to the LCM in this case.
Holocene
In adding fractions with denominators of 33 and 48, the LCD is 240.

I don't understand any easy way to arrive at this number.

33 factors out to be : 3 * 11
48 factors out to be: 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 3

But from these numbers, none will yeild a product of 240.

What am I doing wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the LCD? Did you meand the GCD(Greatest Common Divisor)? Or did you mean the LCM(Least Common Multiple)? As far as I can tell you did nothing wrong, as 240 is neither the gcd nor the lcm of 33 and 48.

EDIT: Oh I guess you meant LCD as in Least Common Denominator, which would be equivalent in this case to the LCM, but still it shouldn't be 240, and you should be able to tell that from the prime factorizations of the three numbers.

Last edited:
My mistake!

The denominators of the fractions were 30 (not 33) and 48, and the LCD is in fact 240. I read the problem wrong!

30 = 2 * 3 * 5
48 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 3

2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 3 * 5 = 240

Thanks for help. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
LCD is is trivially 1 for all natural numbers.

What you are after is LCM, least common multiple.

Yes, arildno, he is looking for the least common multiple of the numbers he gave. He did, however, say initially that these were the denominators of given fractions and he was looking for the least common denominator of those fractions.

Related to Solving Fraction Addition with Denominators 33 and 48: Finding the LCD

1. What is factoring and why is it important in mathematics?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts, typically by finding its greatest common factor. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily.

2. What are the common mistakes made when factoring?

Some common mistakes when factoring include forgetting to check for common factors, incorrectly applying the distributive property, and not fully factoring out all terms in an expression.

3. How can I improve my factoring skills?

The best way to improve factoring skills is through practice. Start with simple expressions and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to review the rules and techniques for factoring, such as finding common factors and using the difference of squares formula.

4. Can all expressions be factored?

No, not all expressions can be factored. Some expressions, such as prime numbers, have no factors and cannot be broken down any further. However, most polynomials can be factored using various techniques.

5. How is factoring used in real life?

Factoring is used in many real-life situations, such as simplifying fractions, finding the dimensions of rectangular objects, and solving problems involving interest rates and compound interest. It is also used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.