How to simplify radicals in the denominator?

In summary: So, in summary, the expression (33√3 + 8√42 + 4√5 + √70) is the simplified form of (16√12 + 8√42 + 2√20 +√70)/1, and there is no further simplification that can be done. It may seem long, but it is the simplest form.
GrannySmith
I have some problems I am stuck on. The goal here is to simplify radicals in the denominator. I understand that when there is a binomial in the denominator, you need to multiply both sides by the conjugate. For some reason though, I seem to be having trouble doing that or am making a mistake somewhere that I cannot figure out.

1. (8√6 + √10)/(2√2 - √7)

I multiply both sides by the conjugate and get (16√12 + 8√42 + 2√20 +√70)/1. Then when I simplify this I get 33√3 + 8√42 + 4√5 + √70. Seems like a long answer. What am I doing wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are not expanding correctly. The second binomial has a negative sign that you aren't taking into account. Recall:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(c-d)=ac-ad+bc-bd\)

I redid the problem like 2 times again but cannot catch on to my mistake. My mistake is in the denominator correct?

(2√2 - √7)(2√2 +√7)

I'm going to take this step by step.

(2√2)(2√2) = 4√4 = 8

(2√2)(√7) = 2√14

(-√7)(2√2) = -2√14

(-√7)(√7) = -√49 = -7

2√14 - 2√14 cancel each other out.

GrannySmith said:
I have some problems I am stuck on. The goal here is to simplify radicals in the denominator. I understand that when there is a binomial in the denominator, you need to multiply both sides by the conjugate. For some reason though, I seem to be having trouble doing that or am making a mistake somewhere that I cannot figure out.

I multiply both sides by the conjugate and get (16√12 + 8√42 + 2√20 +√70)/1. Then when I simplify this I get 33√3 + 8√42 + 4√5 + √70. Seems like a long answer. What am I doing wrong?
That looks correct to me.

Opalg said:
That looks correct to me.

I redid this problem and cannot find anything wrong.

It's just that i have this gut feeling that this answer is wrong for some reason. Way longer than any of my past answers for other problems like this. If it's right though then I guess there's nothing I can do to simplify that!

GrannySmith said:

Why do you think having a long answer makes it incorrect?

GrannySmith said:

MarkFL said:
You are not expanding correctly. The second binomial has a negative sign that you aren't taking into account. Recall:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(c-d)=ac-ad+bc-bd\)

My apologies...I misread the expression you gave as the product of numerator and the conjugate, not the original. :eek:

GrannySmith said:
I redid this problem and cannot find anything wrong.

It's just that i have this gut feeling that this answer is wrong for some reason. Way longer than any of my past answers for other problems like this. If it's right though then I guess there's nothing I can do to simplify that!
The radicals in the original problem all contain different prime factors (3, 5, 2, 7). So you cannot expect them to combine in any way that will give you fewer than four terms in the answer.

Related to How to simplify radicals in the denominator?

What does it mean to simplify radicals in the denominator?

Simplifying radicals in the denominator means to remove any radicals (square roots, cube roots, etc.) from the bottom of a fraction. This is done to make the expression easier to work with and understand.

Why is it important to simplify radicals in the denominator?

Simplifying radicals in the denominator is important in order to solve equations and perform operations involving fractions. It also makes the expression more visually appealing and easier to understand.

What are the steps to simplify radicals in the denominator?

The steps to simplify radicals in the denominator are as follows:

1. Factor the radicand (number inside the radical) into its prime factors.
  2. Identify any perfect square factors and move them to the outside of the radical.
  3. Multiply the perfect square factors together and combine them with any other numbers outside the radical.
  4. Write the remaining numbers and non-perfect square factors inside the radical.

Can you give an example of simplifying radicals in the denominator?

Yes, for example, if we have the fraction 3/√18, we can simplify it by factoring 18 into 2*3*3. Then, we can move the perfect square factor of 3 to the outside of the radical, leaving us with 3√2 as our simplified form.

Are there any special cases when simplifying radicals in the denominator?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when simplifying radicals in the denominator. These include when the radicand is a perfect square, when there is a variable present, and when there is an exponent attached to the radical. In these cases, the steps for simplifying may vary slightly.