Solving Force and Motion Problems with the SUVAT Equations

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find equations that will calculate the accelerations of a man and barrel when they meet halfway. The equations are not working, so the student is looking for ways to solve them simultaneously. Conservation of energy is used to find the velocities of the objects.
Originaltitle

Homework Statement

qyx2q0.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma to find the respective accelerations of the man and the barrel.
The suvat equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making 2 equations to solve them simultaneously but the values I'm looking to find always cancel out.
I know that s and t will be the same for the barrel and the man when the bottom of the barrel is level with the man's head. But how do I find either s or t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy.

ehild

Could you be more elaborate, please? I mean, if I were to use conservation of energy, I'd need to use W.D.=Fx, K.E.=1/2mv^2 and G.P.E.=mgh. For W.D., I may find F but I don't know x. For K.E., I know m but not v. For G.P.E. I don't know h. How am I to find h?

The man raises as much as the barrel sinks and they meat halfway, that is at 9 m height.
Both man and barrel are in rest initially. The barrel has some potential energy with respect to the ground.
when they meet at 9 m height, both have potential and kinetic energy, and both move with the same speed v, you have to find.

ehild

That is if we assume that they meet halfway - nowhere in the question does it say they meet halfway. If they do meet halfway, the g.p.e. of the man = 800*100*9=720000J and the barrel's loss in g.p.e. = 1200*100*9=1080000J. If we say the loss in g.p.e. = gain in k.e., then 1080000 = 0.5*80*v^2. V^2 = 27000. V = 164? That's not an option. Where'd I go wrong?

Well, for starters, you don't have to convert the masses into grams as the SI unit is kg.

Also, you need to find the velocity of the man when the bottom of the barrel lines up with the man's head. Logically, this would happen halfway.

By conservation of energy, the total energy at the start equals the total energy in the halfway position. So, just consider the system of man and barrel and use ##P.E._1+K.E._1=P.E._2+K.E._2##

Originaltitle said:
That is if we assume that they meet halfway - nowhere in the question does it say they meet halfway.

The length of the chord does not change. As much the left piece gets shorter that much the right piece becomes longer. When man and barrel are at the same level, they are at equal distances from the initial positions of man and barrel.

ehild

Related to Solving Force and Motion Problems with the SUVAT Equations

1. What are the SUVAT equations?

The SUVAT equations, also known as the kinematic equations or the motion equations, are a set of equations used to solve problems related to force and motion. They are based on the four variables: displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), and time (t).

2. How do I use the SUVAT equations to solve force and motion problems?

To use the SUVAT equations, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, you can plug these values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.

3. Can the SUVAT equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the SUVAT equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. This means that the acceleration does not change throughout the motion, which is the case for most basic physics problems.

4. Are there limitations to using the SUVAT equations?

The SUVAT equations can only be used for problems that involve constant acceleration. If the acceleration is changing or if the motion is not in a straight line, then other equations and concepts, such as calculus, must be used to solve the problem.

5. Can I use the SUVAT equations to solve problems involving multiple objects?

Yes, the SUVAT equations can be used to solve problems involving multiple objects, as long as the motion of each object can be described with the same set of equations. In these cases, it is important to clearly label and keep track of the variables for each object.