Solving for $(x+\dfrac{1}{y})$ Given M=N

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the sum of $(x+\dfrac{1}{y})+(x^2+\dfrac{1}{y^2})+(x^3+\dfrac{1}{y^3})+...+(x^{2001}+\dfrac{1}{y^{2001}})$ given that M={$x, xy, log(xy)$} and N={0,$\mid x \mid $ ,$y$}, where M=N. After solving, we find that the sum is equal to -2.
Albert1
M={$x, y, log(xy)$}

N={0,$\mid x \mid $ ,$y$}

given: M=N

find :

$(x+\dfrac{1}{y})+(x^2+\dfrac{1}{y^2})+(x^3+\dfrac{1}{y^3})+--------+(x^{2001}+\dfrac{1}{y^{2001}})=?$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Albert said:
M={$x, y, log(xy)$}

find :

$(x+\dfrac{1}{y})+(x^2+\dfrac{1}{y^2})+(x^3+\dfrac{1}{y^3})+--------+(x^{2001}+\dfrac{1}{y^{2001}})=?$

x and y cannot be zero so we have xy = 1 as log(xy) = 0

as x and y both are positive or -ve and we have |x| and y so both are > 0
so y = 1/x
so given sum

= 2 ( x + x^2 + ... + x^2001) = 2 x( 1- x^2001)/(1- x)

Now if M={$x, xy, log(xy)$}

find :

Albert said:
Now if M={$x, xy, log(xy)$}

find :

Now again as above xy =1 so m = { x, 1, 0}
So |x| has to be 1 else if y = 1 and then x =1 and from N |x| cannot be y

So x = -1 , y = -1, and M = { -1, 1, 0} and N = { 0, 1 , - 1 }

So x = y =-1 and sum = x^n + 1/y^n = -2 for n = odd and 2 for n = even

So sum = -2 as 1st 1000 pairs cancel leaving with x^2001 + 1/y^2001 = - 2

kaliprasad :yes,very good solution (Clapping)

Related to Solving for $(x+\dfrac{1}{y})$ Given M=N

1. How do I solve for x in the equation $(x+\dfrac{1}{y}) = M=N$?

To solve for x in this equation, you need to isolate the variable by subtracting $\dfrac{1}{y}$ from both sides. This will give you the equation $x = M - N - \dfrac{1}{y}$.

2. Can I solve for y instead of x in this equation?

Yes, you can solve for y in this equation by isolating it on one side of the equation. To do this, you would subtract x from both sides and then multiply both sides by y. This will give you the equation $y = \dfrac{M-N}{xy-1}$.

3. How do I know if there is more than one solution for this equation?

If there is more than one solution for this equation, it will result in a linear equation in the form of $y = mx + b$, where m and b are constants. This means that for every value of x, there will be a corresponding value of y that will make the equation true.

4. What if I have more than one variable in this equation?

If you have more than one variable in this equation, you will need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable you want to solve for. This may involve combining like terms, factoring, or using the distributive property.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it's important to remember that calculators can only give you numerical solutions and may not show the algebraic steps to solve the equation. It's always helpful to double check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.