Solving for Time and Max Height of a Kicked Football

• Thread starter kk727
  • Start date
In summary, a football is kicked towards a field goal 28m away with an initial velocity of 37 m/s. The time when it passes through the uprights can be found using the equation t = 28/37cosθ. Its maximum height can be found by plugging in the values for time and velocity into the equation 3 = 0 + 37sinθt - 4.9t^2. The launch angle can be determined by solving for θ in the same equation. By using variables instead of plugging in values, the calculations become much easier.
kk727
Question: 1. A football is kicked towards a field goal 28m away. The initial velocity of the ball is 37 m/s. The ball crosses safely through the uprights, while it is 3m above the ground.
a. Find time when it passes through the uprights.
b. Find its max height.
c. Find its launch angle.

Homework Equations

v = vo + at
x = xo + vot + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, we started this problem in class today, and didn't have enough time to solve it completely.
We first split the velocity into its X and Y components:
VoY= 37sinθ
VoX=37cosθ

Using V=x/t, we figured out that 37cosθ=28/t, and t=28/37cosθ.

Then using this equation, we plugged in everything that we had.
3 = 0 + 37sinθt - 4.9t2
3 = 0 + 37sinθ(28/37cosθ) - 4.9(28/37cosθ)2

We attempted to solve for t by plugging in 28/37cosθ for it, but ended up getting a bunch of trig, and I personally couldn't solve it. Can anyone help out? Is everything at least right up to here? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about plugging in the values of [itex]V_{oy}[/tex] and [itex]V_{ox}[/tex] for now ... just use the variables in your equations.

For example, with V = x/t, try using [itex]V_{ox} = \frac{28}{t}[/tex]
and go from there. Your calculations will be much easier!

Thank you so much! That's something that I've been struggling with for a while now, because we've been doing a lot of problems like that in class, and it frustrates me when I end up with this giant, ugly equation! You're right, it's muuuuuch easier!

kk727 said:
Thank you so much! That's something that I've been struggling with for a while now, because we've been doing a lot of problems like that in class, and it frustrates me when I end up with this giant, ugly equation! You're right, it's muuuuuch easier!

No problem!

You should have come up with 2 answers for each question. What did you get?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to check this again! I don't remember, because I don't have my notebook with me, but we went over it in class and I had it right! Everyone else had big long trig equations that they were trying to solve and I felt so smart! Hahaha, thanks again!

Related to Solving for Time and Max Height of a Kicked Football

What is a "Kicked Football Question"?

A "Kicked Football Question" is a term used to describe a question that is asked repeatedly and often without much thought or variation. It is similar to a "Frequently Asked Question" (FAQ), but with a more playful or humorous connotation.

How did the term "Kicked Football Question" originate?

The term "Kicked Football Question" is believed to have originated in the 1980s with the rise of internet forums and chat rooms. It was often used to describe repetitive or unoriginal questions that were asked over and over again.

Why is it important to avoid asking "Kicked Football Questions"?

Asking the same questions repeatedly can be frustrating for others and can also hinder the flow of conversation or discussion. It is important to try to come up with new and original questions to keep conversations interesting and engaging.

What are some examples of "Kicked Football Questions"?

Some common examples of "Kicked Football Questions" include "What's your favorite color?", "How was your day?", or "What do you do for a living?". These questions are often asked without much thought or context and can become repetitive and uninteresting.

How can I avoid asking "Kicked Football Questions"?

To avoid asking "Kicked Football Questions", try to think of open-ended and thought-provoking questions that encourage deeper conversation and allow others to share their unique perspectives and experiences. Also, pay attention to the topics and questions that have already been discussed in a conversation and try to come up with something new and relevant.