Solving for Time and Height of Sphere Meeting | 1 D Motion Problem

• Thread starter medinat16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, two spheres are thrown with different initial conditions and it is asked when and where they will meet. Using the equations xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2 and vf^2-vi^2=2Δx(a), it is calculated that the spheres will meet at a time of 1.84 seconds and a height of 43.37 meters, assuming the second sphere is dropped 60m from the first sphere at 0.5 seconds. However, if the second sphere is assumed to be 60m from the first sphere after 0.5 seconds, the time and height of contact are 2.39 seconds and 32.01 meters, respectively. These values do not match
medinat16

Homework Statement

A sphere is thrown upwards with an initial velocity of 30m/s. A second sphere is dropped from directly above, a height of 60m from from the first sphere, 0.5 seconds later.When do the spheres meet and how high is the point where they meet?Please explain how you got your answer. My teacher got an answer of 1.68sec as the time and 38m as where they meet.

Homework Equations

xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2
vf^2-vi^2=2Δx(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

vi=30m/s
Δx=60m
t=0.5 sec
a=-9.8m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you interpret the "0.5 seconds later". So is the second sphere 60 m from the first sphere, when it is dropped, or is it 60 m from the sphere after the 0.5 seconds?Nonetheless, I do not get the same result as your teacher. I put

xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2

For sphere 1 equal to that of sphere 2, since we want to know the time, where xf_1 = xf_2

I calculated a new initial velocity and a new position for sphere 1 after 0.5 sec with:

vf=vi+a*t = 25.1 m/s

Then the position xf = (vi+vf)*t/2 = 13.775 m

xf_1 = xf_2

xi+vit+1/2at^2 = xi+vit+1/2at^2

13.775m+25.1m/s t+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2 = 60m+0t+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2

solving for t gives 1.84s

I don't see, how this is wrong, perhaps someone else gets the same?

I agree with your calculations and I obtain 43.37m as the point of contact using that assumption.
If we calculate assuming the second sphere is 60m away at 0.5 seconds, then:

0m+25.1m/s t+1/2(-9.8m/s2)t2 = 60m+0m/s t+1/2(-9.8m/s2)t2

t = 2.39 s
and xf = 32.01m

Still not your teacher's value.

Related to Solving for Time and Height of Sphere Meeting | 1 D Motion Problem

1. What is the formula for solving for the time and height of a sphere meeting in a 1D motion problem?

The formula for solving for time and height in a 1D motion problem is t = (2h/g)^0.5, where t is the time and h is the height of the sphere, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you determine the initial height of the sphere in a 1D motion problem?

The initial height of the sphere can be determined by using the equation h = vi*t - 0.5*g*t^2, where vi is the initial velocity and t is the time.

3. Can this formula be applied for all types of motion problems?

No, this formula is specifically for 1D motion problems where the sphere is only moving in one direction.

4. What are the units for time and height in this formula?

The units for time are typically seconds (s) and the units for height are typically meters (m).

5. How can this formula be used in real-world scenarios?

This formula can be used to determine the time and height of a ball being thrown up into the air, a ball rolling off a table, or any other 1D motion problem involving a sphere.