Find the height of a free falling object

In summary: And Vf=?In summary, we are given that an object falls freely and covers a distance of 60m in the last 2 seconds. Using the equations V = Vo + at and X = Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2, we can determine the initial position (X0) and final velocity (Vf) of the object. With X0 = 60m, t = 2s, and a = -9.8m/s^2, we can solve for V0 and find the height at which the object was dropped.
KwamKwam

Homework Statement

An object falls freely, moving 60m in the last 2 seconds. Find the height at which it was dropped.
[/B]

Homework Equations

Vf = 1/2(gt^2) + Vo(t)+ Yo
g= 9.8m/s^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

the object accelerates at 9.8m/s^2 . and the velocity would be 30m/s. (60 divided 2) so do you plug in 30m/s and the acceleration of gravity and solve for Yo? (the initial position)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Dag KwamKwam, welcome to PF :smile:

You want to check your equation -- or precisely describe what you mean with Vf. Otherwise the dimensions don't fit.
To me it looks as if two equations from here have been squashed together. And you need both, I think.

Thank you, Vf is the objects final velocity

You still want to check your equation. On the left you have m/s, on the right you have m + m/s + m . Can't be right !
Can you make sense of the expressions in the link I gave ?

yeah I can. so my equations are V = Vo+ a(t) and X=Xo + Vo(t) + 1/2(at^2) instead of my first one?

Very good. a(t) and V0(t) are confusing. Better write a t and V0 t or a ##\times## t and V0 ##\times## t

Now you have these two equations you want to sort out how to apply them. What to fill in, how to choose t = 0 and x = 0 and such. Any ideas ?

(bedtime for me, so others will have to help you further).

so X0 = 60, t = 2 and a = -9.8 and V0is what we're searching for.

KwamKwam said:
so X0 = 60, t = 2 and a = -9.8 and V0is what we're searching for.
And X=?

Related to Find the height of a free falling object

What is the formula for finding the height of a free falling object?

The formula for finding the height of a free falling object is h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object has been falling.

How does air resistance affect the height of a free falling object?

Air resistance can greatly affect the height of a free falling object. As the object falls, it will experience air resistance which will slow it down. This means that the object will not reach the same height it would have without air resistance.

What factors can affect the time it takes for a free falling object to reach the ground?

The time it takes for a free falling object to reach the ground can be affected by several factors, including the object's mass, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Objects with greater mass will fall faster, while air resistance and the force of gravity can either increase or decrease the time it takes for the object to fall.

Can the height of a free falling object be negative?

Yes, the height of a free falling object can be negative. This would occur if the object was thrown or dropped from a height below the starting point, or if the object was thrown upwards and then began to fall back down. In these cases, the height would be represented as a negative value.

Can the height of a free falling object be affected by external forces?

Yes, the height of a free falling object can be affected by external forces such as wind or air resistance. These forces can either increase or decrease the height reached by the falling object, depending on their direction and strength.