Solving for the number of periods in this question

• Thread starter qqpenguin12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Periodic
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving a present value and a final value, with the goal of solving for the number of periods necessary for the entity to grow from the present value to the final value. The speaker has attempted various methods, but is still struggling to isolate the variable. Another speaker clarifies that there is no analytic solution, but numerical approximations can be obtained through methods such as Newton's method. It is suggested to use a tool like WolframAlpha to find solutions. However, in this particular case, the integer solution is exact.
qqpenguin12

Homework Statement

I hope everyone is having a great day. The equation I am working with at the moment is:

(1+ (.2/x))^(x) = 1.21.

1.21 represents the final value, whereas 1 is the present value. I am trying to solve for x, which represents the number of periods necessary for the entity to grow from 1 to 1.21. I am a little stuck on the algebraic manipulations. If anyone could help that would be awesome, thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have attempted rooting the entire expression, as well as using the "e" and "ln" functions, but I am still having trouble isolating x.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no proper analytic solution to this type of equation.
You can get numeric approximations to arbitrary precision.

mfb said:
There is no proper analytic solution to this type of equation.
You can get numeric approximations to arbitrary precision.

Thank you for clarifying that, as I was pretty confused! Could you tell me where I could find my information on how to do that? Thanks again.

"that" means getting numerical approximations? There are many methods, Wikipedia has a long article as usual. Newton's method is the easiest one that works reasonably well in most cases.

If you are just interested in a solution for this specific equation, you can guess some numbers, or use WolframAlpha to find solutions. In this case, the integer solution is exact.

mfb said:
... In this case, the integer solution is exact.
@qqpenguin12,

Notice that (1.1)2 = 1.21

Related to Solving for the number of periods in this question

What does "solving for the number of periods" mean?

"Solving for the number of periods" refers to using a mathematical formula or equation to determine the number of time periods or intervals in a given situation.

Why is it important to solve for the number of periods?

Solving for the number of periods is important in many scientific and mathematical fields, as it allows us to accurately measure and predict the occurrence of events over time.

What factors are involved in solving for the number of periods?

The factors involved in solving for the number of periods may vary depending on the specific situation, but common factors include the length of time, rate of change, and any relevant constants or variables.

What methods can be used to solve for the number of periods?

There are various methods that can be used to solve for the number of periods, including algebraic equations, graphical analysis, and numerical methods such as iteration or interpolation.

How does solving for the number of periods contribute to scientific research?

Solving for the number of periods is a crucial aspect of scientific research, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and understand patterns and trends in data over time. This can lead to a deeper understanding of natural phenomena and help us make informed decisions based on the data we collect.