Solving for T in a Simple Pendulum: Troubleshooting and Tips

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the number of oscillations executed by a pendulum each minute. The formula L= (gT^2) / (4pi^2) is used to find the period, which is 1.629 seconds. To find the number of oscillations per minute, 60 is divided by 1.629, resulting in 36.8 oscillations per minute. It is also mentioned that when the length of the pendulum is 1 meter, the period is close to 2 seconds.
fishingaddictr
still reviewing my test and I am having trouble.

A pendulum consists of a bob of mass 0.14kg at the end of a light string of length 0.66 meters, whose other end is fixed. the number of oscillations executed by the pendulum each minute is...?

so far this is what I've got

L= (gT^2) / (4pi^2) solve for T, i get 1.629 seconds..

where do i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think i got it.. it takes 1.629 seconds for one oscillation.. we're solving for number of oscillations per min. so divide 60 by 1.629.. would be 36.8 oscillations per minute?

correct? anyone?

fishingaddictr said:
i think i got it.. it takes 1.629 seconds for one oscillation.. we're solving for number of oscillations per min. so divide 60 by 1.629.. would be 36.8 oscillations per minute?

correct? anyone?
Looks like you got it. A useful bit of trivia.. when L = 1 meter the period is very close to 2 seconds.

Related to Solving for T in a Simple Pendulum: Troubleshooting and Tips

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It consists of a mass called the bob attached to a string or rod.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the gravitational acceleration, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

3. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum and its period are directly proportional. This means that as the length increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the angle of release affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The angle of release has a minimal effect on the motion of a simple pendulum. As long as the amplitude (maximum angle of swing) is relatively small, the period is not significantly affected by the angle of release.