Calculating the Period of a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the period of small amplitude oscillations of a simple pendulum suspended from a ceiling 3.2m high. The period is approximately independent of the amplitude for small swings, but becomes more complex for larger swings. The amplitude is at its peak at T/2 and can be approximated by -mgθ for small oscillations. The length of the pendulum is confirmed to be 2.52m and the topic is well-covered in online resources.
Tangeton
A simple pendulum is suspended from a ceiling 3.2m high and the bob height from the floor is measured to be 68cm. Calculate the period of small amplitude oscillations of the bob.

I converted 68cm to 0.68m. The total length of the pendulum must be 3.2 - 0.68 = 2.52. When working with the period, T = 2 pie x sqrt of l/g, do I use my l as 2.52 or half of it since I'm working out the period of the amplitude? And what does it mean by small amplitude... is it just small because it doesn't fallow for big values of amplitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
For small amplitude swings, the period is practically independent of the amplitude of the swing. For larger swings, the amplitude appears in the formula for the period, meaning it's no longer SHM. oo)

I am worried about
or half of it since I'm working out the period of the amplitude
Could you explain what made you write this ?

BvU said:
I am worried about Could you explain what made you write this ?

Amplitude is at its peak at T/2, half way through an oscillation...

Please someone just confirm its length is 2.52... no matter how much my lack of understanding is making you suffer right now...

Tangeton said:
Please someone just confirm its length is 2.52... no matter how much my lack of understanding is making you suffer right now...
o_O

In metres, yes.

You will find this topic well-treated in many online resources. Use a google search.

Look up Amplitude (that is a hyperlink, but on my screen it is indistinguishable from normal text; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplitude. Use number 1 as the normal definition) and realize that
Amplitude is at its peak at T/2, half way through an oscillation...
is not right. Amplitude is a constant for undamped harmonic oscillation.
If the deviation from equilibrium is ## x = A \sin(\omega t) ## then x = 0 at T/2 !

The exercise mentions oscillations with small amplitude because then the restoring force (##-mg \sin\theta##) can be approximated by ##-mg\theta## and that leads to simple harmonic oscillations.

Related to Calculating the Period of a Simple Pendulum

1. How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

2. What is the formula for the period of a pendulum?

The formula for the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g).

3. Does the length of the pendulum affect the period?

Yes, the length of the pendulum directly affects the period. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g).

4. How does gravity impact the period of a simple pendulum?

Gravity plays a significant role in the period of a simple pendulum as it is used in the calculation of the period. The greater the acceleration due to gravity, the shorter the period of the pendulum will be.

5. Can the period of a simple pendulum be affected by other factors?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the period of a simple pendulum, such as the mass of the pendulum bob and air resistance. However, for small angles of oscillation and in a vacuum, these factors can be considered negligible.