Solving for Lunar Landing Craft Thrust

In summary, the retrorocket is firing to provide an upward thrust to slow down the lunar landing craft as it touches the lunar surface. The needed thrust is 16.5 m/s to bring the velocity down to zero at the given height.
onyxorca

Homework Statement

A 8.73 × 103-kg lunar landing craft is about to touch down on the surface of the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is 1.60 m/s2. At an altitude of 217 m the craft's downward velocity is 16.5 m/s. To slow down the craft, a retrorocket is firing to provide an upward thrust. Assuming the descent is vertical, find the magnitude of the thrust needed to reduce the velocity to zero at the instant when the craft touches the lunar surface.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c04/EAT_12257263467150_5449420724903514.gif

Homework Equations

v^2=v0^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Fthrust=Fg? mg=ma?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the needed acceleration to bring the velocity down to zero over the given height?
How many forces act on the lander as it is coming down?
Can you write Newton's Second Law?

Hello onyxorca,

As a first step you have to figure out which forces act on the rocket. Then you have to use the general equations for x(t) and v(t).

F=ma

the forces are gravity and thrust.

btw the mass is 8.73 × 10^3 kg.

the acceleration is 0=16.5^2+2a217 and a = -0.627304 m/s^2 ? where do i go from there?

Use Newton's Second Law. Find an expression for the net force (the sum of all the forces) and set it equal to mass times acceleration.

Fthrust - Fg = ma?

so F - 8730*1.6 = 8730*-0.627304

F=8491.64 N?

F_thrust -F_g = ma is correct! :smile:

Now you need to find out the value of a.

For that use the general equations for x(t) and v(t):

v(t) = a*t + v_0

x(t) = 1/2*a*t^2 + v_0*t + x_0

rogerbacon said:
Now you need to find out the value of a.

OP found the acceleration in Posting #4. The answer is OK.

well appearantly 8491 isn't right...

I checked the numbers and I checked the method. The answer should be correct. If someone (or a computer program) says that it is not, then you need to take your solution to the person who assigned this problem and ask him/her where the error is.

V0=V^2+2ax find a

F=mg-ma=m(g-a)

i finally got it right, had trouble realizing that the thrust is smaller than gravitational force and i made mistakes when putting in the scientific digits but i finally got it.

onyxorca said:
F=mg-ma=m(g-a)

This is the right answer. What number do you get when you plug in?

well the numbers in the problem changes every time so i wouldn't know if this is right but i got the right answer for that time.

in this case though it's probably F = 8.73E3 (1.6+.627304) = 19444.4 N because it's Fg-Fthrust, not the other way around.

I get the same number.

Related to Solving for Lunar Landing Craft Thrust

1. How do you calculate the thrust needed for a lunar landing craft?

The thrust needed for a lunar landing craft can be calculated by using the rocket equation. This equation takes into account the mass of the spacecraft, the velocity change required for landing, and the specific impulse of the thrusters. By plugging in these variables, you can determine the amount of thrust needed for a successful lunar landing.

2. What factors affect the amount of thrust needed for a lunar landing craft?

The amount of thrust needed for a lunar landing craft is affected by several factors such as the mass of the spacecraft, the velocity change required for landing, the specific impulse of the thrusters, and the gravitational pull of the moon. Additionally, external factors such as atmospheric conditions and terrain can also impact the amount of thrust needed for a successful landing.

3. How do you ensure that the lunar landing craft has enough thrust for a safe landing?

To ensure that the lunar landing craft has enough thrust for a safe landing, extensive calculations and simulations are performed beforehand. Engineers use sophisticated software to model the landing process and determine the precise amount of thrust needed. Additionally, redundant systems and contingency plans are put in place to account for any unforeseen circumstances.

4. Can the amount of thrust needed for a lunar landing craft vary between missions?

Yes, the amount of thrust needed for a lunar landing craft can vary between missions. This is due to factors such as the mass and design of the spacecraft, the specific landing site, and the goals of the mission. Some missions may require a higher velocity change, while others may have stricter weight limitations, resulting in different thrust requirements.

5. How does the thrust of the lunar landing craft affect the fuel consumption?

The thrust of the lunar landing craft directly affects the fuel consumption. The higher the amount of thrust needed, the more fuel will be consumed during the landing process. This is why engineers strive to optimize the thrust and fuel efficiency of the spacecraft to ensure a successful and cost-effective mission.