Solving for Height: P1 = P2 Equation

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: If you use simple magnitudes, you will get the right results in simple cases, probably more easily.Here, you could simply say the difference in pressure is 1% atm = 1000 Pa, hρg = 1000, so h=10.2 cm meaning the difference in height between the tubes (irrespective of their diameter or orientation)
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-1_22-22-18.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is this wrong? --
P1 = 1000 (1% of atm)
P1 = P2[/B]

99000 = 101300 + pgh
99000-101300 = pgh
solving for h, h = 0.1 m

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_22-22-18.png
    upload_2018-4-1_22-22-18.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 715
Physics news on Phys.org
What height does your h represent?
And what height are they asking for?

t
Merlin3189 said:
What height does your h represent?
And what height are they asking for?
hey are asking for the height the water rises as a result of the reduce in pressure. the height i gave would be the change in height

(Sorry, I've been out.)

Yes, you know what they are asking, but " the height i gave would be the change in height" Change in what height?
They are asking for the change in level of the right hand tube.

I nearly suggested you draw a diagram, but thought we could manage without. Now I think we need a diagram, as I still don't understand what you are calculating.

It would help if you explained where your numbers came from and how you produced your equations.

What are P1 and P2 which are apparently the same?

Where does 101300 come from and what does it represent? I can guess where the 99000 comes from and what it's unit is.

Merlin3189 said:
(Sorry, I've been out.)

Yes, you know what they are asking, but " the height i gave would be the change in height" Change in what height?
They are asking for the change in level of the right hand tube.

I nearly suggested you draw a diagram, but thought we could manage without. Now I think we need a diagram, as I still don't understand what you are calculating.

It would help if you explained where your numbers came from and how you produced your equations.

What are P1 and P2 which are apparently the same?

Where does 101300 come from and what does it represent? I can guess where the 99000 comes from and what it's unit is.
upload_2018-4-2_12-19-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-2_12-19-23.png
    upload_2018-4-2_12-19-23.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 292
I shouldn't have asked! But I think it might help a bit. At least you can see where you went wrong now.

Δh does appear to be the amount the water rises in the right hand tube.

All you need now is the calculation of the pressure difference.

Edit: So what measurements do you use to calculate the pressure difference across the manometer?

Last edited:
Merlin3189 said:
I shouldn't have asked! But I think it might help a bit. At least you can see where you went wrong now.

Edit: So what measurements do you use to calculate the pressure difference across the manometer?
Merlin3189 said:

Pressure difference in abs(P2-P1) = p*g(y2-y1)?
P2 = 99000, y2 = h
P1 = 100000, y1= -h
Ahhhh
i think i got it.
1000= pg(h-(-h))
= 2pgh
h = 0.05 m or 5 cm.

I didn't think that y1 would be -h.

do we just take the absolute value of p2-p1? So that i don't get a negative value?

I still struggle to follow your working when you use symbols not on your diagram nor in the statement of the problem, but it looks as if you are right now.

The point was that the pressure difference is related to the height difference, not simply to the change.

lc99 said:
do we just take the absolute value of p2-p1? So that i don't get a negative value?
Since I still don't know what you mean by P! and P2, I shouldn't say! But IMO you can do either.

If you are careful, then you will get the right result using actual values. If you use simple magnitudes, you will get the right results in simple cases, probably more easily.
Here you could simply say the difference in pressure is 1% atm = 1000 Pa
So hρg = 1000 , so h=10.2cm meaning the difference in height between the tubes (irrespective of their diameter or orientation)

This seems to be where you were first in error - the difference of height is not the same as the change in height.

Merlin3189 said:
I still struggle to follow your working when you use symbols not on your diagram nor in the statement of the problem, but it looks as if you are right now.

The point was that the pressure difference is related to the height difference, not simply to the change.Since I still don't know what you mean by P! and P2, I shouldn't say! But IMO you can do either.

If you are careful, then you will get the right result using actual values. If you use simple magnitudes, you will get the right results in simple cases, probably more easily.
Here you could simply say the difference in pressure is 1% atm = 1000 Pa
So hρg = 1000 , so h=10.2cm meaning the difference in height between the tubes (irrespective of their diameter or orientation)

This seems to be where you were first in error - the difference of height is not the same as the change in height.
Ahh. I get it now. I was not really aware that the difference in height isn't the same as change in height of water. Thank you

U-tube.png

though here, h=change in height and d is difference in height

Attachments

• U-tube.png
    U-tube.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 331

Related to Solving for Height: P1 = P2 Equation

1. What is the P1 = P2 Equation?

The P1 = P2 Equation is a mathematical formula used to solve for the height of an object. It is based on the principle of pressure being equal at two points along a vertical line within a liquid or gas.

2. How do you use the P1 = P2 Equation to solve for height?

To use the P1 = P2 Equation, you need to know the pressure at two points along a vertical line within a liquid or gas, as well as the density of the substance. You can then plug these values into the equation and solve for the height.

3. Why is the P1 = P2 Equation important in scientific research?

The P1 = P2 Equation is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to calculate the height of an object based on pressure measurements. This can be useful in various fields, such as oceanography, meteorology, and fluid mechanics.

4. Can the P1 = P2 Equation be used for any type of substance?

Yes, the P1 = P2 Equation can be used for any type of substance, as long as it is a liquid or gas. However, the density of the substance may need to be adjusted depending on the units used for pressure (e.g. if pressure is measured in atmospheres, the density should be in g/L).

5. Are there any limitations to using the P1 = P2 Equation?

One limitation of the P1 = P2 Equation is that it assumes a constant density throughout the substance. In reality, the density may vary due to factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the equation only applies to vertical lines within the substance and may not accurately calculate the height for objects with complex shapes.