Thermodynamics cycle work question

In summary: The point ##(P_{2},V_{3})=(10^5,V_{3})## corresponds to the point where the line intersects the y-axis. Using the equation of the line, ##P=mV+q##, you find that ##q=0## and ##P=mV##. So the line equation is ##P=2\cdot 10^5\cdot V.
Vitalius6189

Homework Statement

A mass of gas occupying volume V1 = 2 m3 at the pressure P1 = 4*10^5 Pa performs the cycle represented in the Figure that i have uploaded.What is the work of gas in this cycle, knowing that the pressure P2 = 10^5 Pa
fe0b02ff-c227-4d45-beff-ca06a6756250

Homework Equations

Work=1/2 * (P1 - P2) * (V1 - V3)

The Attempt at a Solution

The work is the area within the triangle.
1/2 base * height
= 1/2 * (P1 - P2) * (V1 - V3) The question that i have is how do i find V3?[/B]

Attachments

• fizica.jpg
    fizica.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

The cartesian equation of the line from the step ##3## to the step ##2## is ##P(V)=2\cdot 10^5 \cdot V## so ## V_{3}=0,5 m^3##.

Ssnow said:
The cartesian equation of the line from the step ##3## to the step ##2## is ##P(V)=2\cdot 10^5 \cdot V## so ## V_{3}=0,5 m^3##.
Can you please explain this to me?

For example how did you get 2*10^5?

Last edited:
The number ##2\cdot 10^5## is the angular coefficient of the line from the process ##3## to ##2##. The line pass through the origin so the line has equation of the form ##P=m\cdot V## in order to find ##m## you can use the point ##(V_{1},P_{1})=(2,4\cdot 10^5)##, so ##4\cdot 10^5=m\cdot 2## and ##m=2\cdot 10^5##...
Ssnow

Ssnow said:
The number ##2\cdot 10^5## is the angular coefficient of the line from the process ##3## to ##2##. The line pass through the origin so the line has equation of the form ##P=m\cdot V## in order to find ##m## you can use the point ##(V_{1},P_{1})=(2,4\cdot 10^5)##, so ##4\cdot 10^5=m\cdot 2## and ##m=2\cdot 10^5##...
Ssnow
What is m? Is this some kinda new thing like volume or pressure or not?
also now that i know m how do i find V3

and also i apologize for being obnoxious and wasting your time but... why is the line passing through the origin means that the equation is of the form P=m*V?
again sorry for so many questions but i am genuinly curios and really want to learn before school starts

bump for visibility

In a Cartesian plane, with coordinates ##x## and ##y## you can rapresent a line (a direct proportionality law between ##x## and ##y##) using the equation ##y=mx+q## where ##m## is called the angular coefficient and ##q## is the pont where the line intersect the ##y## axis. In your case instead ##y## and ##x## there are ##P## and ##V## so the equation of your line is ##P=mV+q##. Now ##q## must be ##0## because the line pass in the origin, so from ##0=m\cdot 0 + q## you find ##q=0##, and ##P=mV## . In order to find the line equation you must determine the coefficient ##m##. You will use the other point on the line so as I said in the previous post ##P=2\cdot 10^5\cdot V##. Now you have the general equation of the line and using the point ##(P_{2},V_{3})=(10^5,V_{3})## you can find ##V_{3}##...
Ssnow

Related to Thermodynamics cycle work question

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of thermodynamic processes that occur in a specific order and return a system to its original state. It is used to study the behavior of energy in a system.

2. What is work in a thermodynamic cycle?

In a thermodynamic cycle, work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. It can be done by or on a system, and is closely related to the change in the system's internal energy.

3. How is work calculated in a thermodynamic cycle?

The work done in a thermodynamic cycle is calculated by taking the integral of the pressure-volume curve for each process in the cycle. This can be done using the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

4. What is the relationship between work and heat in a thermodynamic cycle?

In a thermodynamic cycle, the work done by the system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the change in internal energy. This is known as the First Law of Thermodynamics. In other words, any work done by the system must be supplied by an input of heat.

5. What are some examples of thermodynamic cycles?

Some common examples of thermodynamic cycles include the Carnot cycle, the Otto cycle, the Rankine cycle, and the Brayton cycle. These cycles are used in various applications such as power plants, engines, and refrigeration systems.