Solving for Frictional Force in Banked Curve Problem

In summary: The car will need to be moving at a speed greater than 35m/s for the friction force to be greater than the weight of the car.
TheRaiderNati

Homework Statement

A certain curve on a freeway has a radius of 200m and is banked at an angle of 25°. A 200-kg car moves around the curve at constant speed.

1. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what friction force is needed to keep the car moving in a circle?
2. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what normal force acts on the car?
3. If the speed of the car is 35m/s, what is the minimum value of the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/itex]
F[itex]_{cent}[/itex]=m*a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been attempting to solve this problem for about a week now but have but hopelessly stuck.

1. I tried to set up the equation so that the x-component of Weight plus the friction force (since the friction force points inwards) was equal to the Centripetal Force, like so:

F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = Wsin(25) + f = m*a[itex]_{cent}[/itex]
(Where f = friction force)

But I couldn't seem to get the right answer.

2.I figured that since the car has no vertical acceleration the sum of the net forces in the Y direction should equal to zero. In this case the only forces with Y components are the weight and normal force. Therefore:
F[itex]_{y}[/itex] = N - Wcos(25) = 0

However, this also produced an incorrect result.

3. I know that I can simply divide the force of friction by the Normal force to get the coefficient, so I guess I don't really need help on this one.

Answers were provided to me for these questions, but I still can't seem to get the same figures:
1. 2820N
2. 22900N
3. 0.123
3. 0.123

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the diagram of the forces is shown one finds it easier to give help.

No diagram of the forces was given. Only a picture showing a car on a banked curve.

Usually one starts the solution of this problem with a diagram of the forces.

So what I meant was the diagram that YOU have to try to do showing these forces.

I think that the answers for (1) and (2) are 282N and 2290N respectively.

So I ended up solving the remainder of the questions using the equations I found here.

Also, the free body diagram on that website was essentially what I had drawn out initially. I think the trigonometry involved was what was throwing me off.

The only problem I am now having issues solving is finding the minimum possible speed of the car if the coefficient of friction is .20.
EDIT: Never mind, just figured that one out too. Thanks for the help guys.

Let us call the coefficient of friction μ. Then the frictional force will be given by
frictional force = μN where N is the normal reaction of the road on the car.

I do not think that you will have any problem in finding the speed.

Related to Solving for Frictional Force in Banked Curve Problem

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curve in a road or track that is angled or sloped, with the outer edge being higher than the inner edge. This design helps vehicles to turn more safely and smoothly.

2. How does a banked curve affect a car's motion?

A banked curve allows a car to maintain a constant speed while turning, without the need for additional friction or force. The angled surface of the curve helps to counteract the centrifugal force that pulls the car outward during a turn.

3. What factors determine the angle of a banked curve?

The angle of a banked curve depends on the speed of the car, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the surface of the road or track. A higher speed or tighter curve requires a steeper angle.

4. What are the advantages of a banked curve for a car?

A banked curve allows a car to turn more safely and smoothly, without the risk of skidding or sliding. It also reduces the amount of friction and wear on the car's tires, which can increase their lifespan.

5. Are there any risks associated with driving on a banked curve?

While banked curves can improve the handling of a car, they can also be dangerous if the angle is too steep or if the driver is not aware of the correct speed to maintain. Excessive speed or incorrect steering can lead to loss of control and accidents on banked curves.