Solving Exercise 2 & 3 in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about solving problems involving Fourier series and orthogonal functions. The main focus is on exercises 2 and 3, where exercise 2 involves showing that $b_n$ is equal to $0$ for all $n$, and exercise 3 involves finding $a_n$ using orthogonality. The conversation also involves referencing notes and textbooks for further explanation and verification. In the end, the solution for exercise 3 is determined to be $a_n = \frac{4}{n\pi}\sin \left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)$.
nacho-man
Hi, please refer to the attached image.

I am having trouble when doing
Exercise 2
Here is what I did:

$ \int_{-2}^{2}(f(x)\sin(\frac{m\pi x}{2}))dx = \sin(\frac{m\pi x}{2})a_{0} + \int_{-2}^{2} \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty (a_{n}(\cos(\frac{n\pi x}{2})\sin(\frac{m\pi x}{2})+b_{n}\sin(\frac{n\pi x}{2})\sin(\frac{m\pi x}{2}))$

and we have to show that $b_n$ is equal to $0$, for all $n$. However
is it not true, that since the terms in the sum are mutually orthogonal, we will no longer have anything within the sum when it is integrated from -2 to 2?

In which case, we will not have a $b_{n}$? As I type this, I realize... that this is what makes $b_{n}$ = 0, but in case I am wrong, could someone please point me to the right direction?
Do I even need to evaluate the left hand side integral or the integral for $a_0$ for exercise 2?exercise 3
I am confused what to do after using the orthogonality again.
I am left with:

$ \int_{-2}^{2} f(x) \cos(\frac{m \pi x}{2})dx $ = $\int_{-2}^{2}a_0\cos(\frac{m \pi x}{2})dx$

how do i treat the f(x) ?
I am unsure how to get $a_n$ from this.

although, i know that since m is fixed, where m = n we will get a non-zero term. I feel like this has something to do with what I need.Thanks

Attachments

• fourier.jpg
    fourier.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of me re-inventing the wheel with information already available here. You should take a look at the notes on Fourier series and the notes on Engineering Analysis.

The Engineering Analysis will show worked out problems with Fourier series and the Fourier series notes will show some problems and more theory.

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/fourier-series-integral-transform-notes-2860.html

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/engineering-analysis-notes-2882.html

Thanks for that, although

Could I just get verification if I am correct with my reasoning exercise 2?

as for exercise 3 I will check the notes. I have read through Differential Equations - Boyce et al which also had some very similar problems to my question, but am still a little unsure as to how to solve my question given the particular conditions.

The way you have it setup bn is not 0 since the length is from (-2, 2) the integral of \(\sin^2\) is \(L/2\) where \(L = 4\).

However, \(a_n = 0\) since sine and cosine are orthogonal.
\[
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin(nx)\cos(nx)dx = 0
\]
and
\[
\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin(nx)\sin(nx)dx = \frac{2\pi}{2} = \pi
\]
As well as showing what you have done, you should also show the problem.

The question in regards to showing $b_n$ = 0 is exercise 2 of the attached image.

if you could refer to image attached to this post, could you explain why $b_n$ is not zero in my question?

It does indeed say that L = P/2 = 2, so L = 2. I think you were meaning to say that P=4 not L=4.

since this is the case,
that would make $b_n = 0$ because when integrating that term, it disappears?

The second thing I'm unsure about is how to integrate the term on the left hand side, with the $f(x)\sin(\frac{m\pi x}{2}$

Thanks once again :)

edit: OKay, I think i have the answer. I overlooked that f(x) was a hybrid function.

since the bounds are between -2 and 2, 1<|x|<2 so f(x) = 0
thus $b_n = 0 $ ?
Although using the same logic, I don't tihnk I could get an answer for exercise 3?

Could someone tell me where i am going wrong?

Attachments

• mo.jpg
    mo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
You have to prove this (obviously) but the \(\displaystyle b_n\) are, in fact, all 0. The signal function is even, so no odd parity terms will be in the Fourier expansion. Just my two cents about that comment.

-Dan

Thanks everyone, I had loads of fun =)

For 3, we have that
\[
\int_{-2}^2a_n\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{2}\right)\cos\left(\frac{m\pi x}{2}\right)dx
\]
This integral is 0 if \(m\neq n\). So the summation is only nonzero when \(n = m\) so the integral we are solving is then
\[
\int_{-2}^2a_n\cos^2\left(\frac{n\pi x}{2}\right)dx
\]
Using trig, we know that \(\cos^2(x) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{\cos(2x)}{2}\).
\[
\int_{-2}^2\frac{a_n}{2}dx = 2a_n
\]
That is, \(2a_n = \int_{-2}^2f(x)\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{2}\right)dx\).
\[
a_n = \int_{-1}^1\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{2}\right)dx = \left.\frac{2}{n\pi}\sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{2}\right)\right|_{-1}^1 = \frac{2}{n\pi} \left(
\sin \left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right) - \sin \left(-\frac{n\pi}{2}\right) \right)
\]
Sine is odd so \(\sin(-x) = -\sin(x)\). Using this fact, we have
\[
a_n = \frac{4}{n\pi}\sin \left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right).
\]

Related to Solving Exercise 2 & 3 in Multivariable Calculus

1. How do I approach solving Exercise 2 in Multivariable Calculus?

The first step in solving Exercise 2 in Multivariable Calculus is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Next, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve the problem. It is important to show all your work and clearly label your answers.

2. Do I need to know all the formulas for Exercise 2 in Multivariable Calculus?

Yes, it is important to have a good understanding of all the relevant formulas and techniques for solving problems in Multivariable Calculus. This includes concepts such as partial derivatives, double and triple integrals, and vector calculus. It is also important to practice using these formulas in various types of problems to improve your problem-solving skills.

3. How do I check my answers for Exercise 2 in Multivariable Calculus?

One way to check your answers for Exercise 2 in Multivariable Calculus is to plug your final answer back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all the given conditions. Another way is to use technology, such as graphing calculators or online tools, to plot the equations and visually verify your solutions.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Exercise 3 in Multivariable Calculus?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving Exercise 3 in Multivariable Calculus include not understanding the problem fully, using incorrect formulas or techniques, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of any potential mistakes when solving these types of problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving exercises in Multivariable Calculus?

The best way to improve your skills in solving exercises in Multivariable Calculus is to practice regularly. This can include working through textbook problems, completing practice worksheets, and seeking help from your teacher or peers when needed. It is also helpful to review and understand any mistakes you make in order to learn from them and improve in the future.