Solving Equation with Summation Properties

In summary: I meant hyperons and yes, it was meant to be both funny and a food for thought. But hey, I'm new and I'am trying to get used to the language here. Jokes don't seem to rank very high.
Jhonny
Hello, I can not find the way to solve the following equation:
sum of k^2 f(k) from k=1 to n.

In Particular, k^2 * (1/k)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no general formula for arbitrary functions f.
In your specific example, there is a very easy one that you'll find in every collection of sum formulas.

I have found how to solve ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)], for example:

∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]
Dem:
∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 2·f(2) + 3·f(3) + ... + n·f(n) = f(1) + f(2) + f(2) +
+ f(3) + f(3) + f(3) + ... + f(n) + ... + f(n) = [f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... + f(n)] +
+ [f(2) + f(3) + ... + f(n)] + [f(3) + ... + f(n)] + ... + f(n) =
= ∑{j=1,n} [f(j)] + ∑{j=2,n} [f(j)] + ∑{j=3,n} [f(j)] + ... + ∑{j=n,n} [f(j)] =
= ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]

However, I need to solve ∑{k=1,n} [k^2·f(k)]

That is not "solving", it is transforming one expression into another, here a sum into a double sum.

You can do the same scheme here. Let g(k)=k*f(k) and apply the formula you found for k*g(k).
Do the same thing again and you get a triple sum over f(m)

I already tried that, but it didn't work.
For example:

∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 2·f(2) + 3·f(3) + ... + n·f(n) = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]

But,

∑{k=1,n} [k^2·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 4·f(2) + 9·f(3) + ... + n^2·f(n) ≠ ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ]

It seems to be that:
Although: ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ] holds,
∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [j*f(j)] ] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ] does not hold.

Jhonny said:
I already tried that, but it didn't work.
For example:

∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 2·f(2) + 3·f(3) + ... + n·f(n) = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ]

But,

∑{k=1,n} [k^2·f(k)] = 1·f(1) + 4·f(2) + 9·f(3) + ... + n^2·f(n) ≠ ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ]
That's not what I suggested.

Jhonny said:
It seems to be that:
Although: ∑{k=1,n} [k·f(k)] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [f(j)] ] holds,
∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} [j*f(j)] ] = ∑{k=1,n} [ ∑{j=k,n} ∑{i=j,n}[[f(i)]] ] does not hold.
Right, as you start the multiplications with j=k, not with 1. There is a way to avoid that.

mfb said:
That's not what I suggested.

Right, as you start the multiplications with j=k, not with 1. There is a way to avoid that.

How can I solve: ∑{k=1,n} [k^2· 2^(-k)]

Last edited:
Jhonny said:
How can I solve: ∑{k=1,n} [k^2· 2^(-k)]
As you have already been told, you are not "solving" these summations. Instead, you are writing them in a different form.

Please ask your question in such a way that makes it clear what you want to happen.

I need to find an equivalent expression without the sigma notation of the expression: ∑{k=1,n} [k^2· 2^(-k)]

It is possible with the ideas given in the thread.

In case you are just interested in the result, WolframAlpha can calculate it - I copied your equation 1:1, didn't even need reformatting. I just changed the brackets so the forum displays the link correctly.

Sigma (##\Sigma##) is the greek symbol used for sums. The question is about properties of sums.

veronica100 said:
hello,
what is sigma properties??

mfb said:
Sigma (##\Sigma##) is the greek symbol used for sums. The question is about properties of sums.
I have changed the title of this thread to "Summation properties".

Mark44 said:
I have changed the title of this thread to "Summation properties".
What a pitty. ∑ properties would have been far more interesting.

fresh_42 said:
What a pitty. ∑ properties would have been far more interesting.
Are you referring to sigma-algebras (##\sigma-\text{algebras}##) and the like? If so, lowercase ##\sigma## (sigma) is used.
In any case, and interesting or not, the title now reflects what the OP asked.

Mark44 said:
Are you referring to sigma-algebras (##\sigma-\text{algebras}##) and the like? If so, lowercase ##\sigma## (sigma) is used.
In any case, and interesting or not, the title now reflects what the OP asked.
I meant hyperons and yes, it was meant to be both funny and a food for thought. But hey, I'm new and I'am trying to get used to the language here. Jokes don't seem to rank very high. Ok, lesson learned.

Related to Solving Equation with Summation Properties

1. What are summation properties?

Summation properties refer to the rules and techniques used to solve equations that involve summation, also known as a series. These properties help simplify the process of solving equations with multiple terms by providing guidelines for manipulating and combining them.

2. How do I know when to use summation properties?

Summation properties are typically used when solving equations that involve multiple terms, especially those in the form of a series. If you encounter an equation with a summation symbol (∑), it is a good indication that summation properties will be necessary to solve it.

3. What are the most common summation properties?

Some of the most common summation properties include the distributive property, the commutative property, the associative property, and the identity property. These properties allow you to manipulate and rearrange the terms within a summation to simplify the equation and ultimately solve it.

4. How do I use summation properties to solve an equation?

First, identify which properties are applicable to the equation. Then, use these properties to rearrange the terms in the summation and simplify the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by performing the necessary operations on both sides of the equation.

5. Are there any tips for using summation properties effectively?

Some tips for using summation properties effectively include practicing with various types of equations, familiarizing yourself with the different properties and their applications, and checking your work by plugging in values for the variable to ensure that the equation is satisfied.