Solving equation involving permutation and combination

In summary, to find n if P(n,3)=6C(n,5), we cross-multiply to get 5!n!(n-5)!=6n!(n-3)!, then simplify and solve for n to get n=8.
NotaMathPerson
Find n if P(n, 3) = 6 C(n, 5).

My attempt

$\frac{n!}{(n-3)!}=6\frac{n!}{(n-5)5!}$

I don't know how to proceed

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotaMathPerson said:

My attempt

First, you have an error on the right hand side. After you fix that, try dividing both sides by \(\displaystyle n!\), Think about what a factorial is.

NotaMathPerson said:

My attempt

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}\text{We have:} & \dfrac{n!}{(n-3)!}\;=\; 6\dfrac{n!}{(n-5)5!}\\ \\
\text{Cross-multiply:} & 5!\,n!\,(n-5)! \;=\;6\,n!\,(n-3)! \\ \\
\text{Divide by 6n!:} & 20(n-5)! \;=\;(n-3)! \\ \\
\text{We have:} & 20(n-5)! \;=\;(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)! \\ \\
\text{Divide by }(n-5)! & 20 \;=\;(n-3)(n-4) \\ \\
\text{Simplify:} & n^2 - 7n - 8 \;=\;0 \\ \\
\text{Factor:} & (n+1)(n-8) \;=\;0 \\ \\
\text{Solve:} & n=\cancel{-1}.\;8
\end{array}[/tex]

soroban said:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}\text{We have:} & \dfrac{n!}{(n-3)!}\;=\; 6\dfrac{n!}{(n-5)5!}\\ \\
\text{Cross-multiply:} & 5!\,n!\,(n-5)! \;=\;6\,n!\,(n-3)! \\ \\
\text{Divide by 6n!:} & 20(n-5)! \;=\;(n-3)! \\ \\
\text{We have:} & 20(n-5)! \;=\;(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)! \\ \\
\text{Divide by }(n-5)! & 20 \;=\;(n-3)(n-4) \\ \\
\text{Simplify:} & n^2 - 7n - 8 \;=\;0 \\ \\
\text{Factor:} & (n+1)(n-8) \;=\;0 \\ \\
\text{Solve:} & n=\cancel{-1}.\;8
\end{array}[/tex]
As http://mathhelpboards.com/members/mrtwhs/ pointed out there is a typo on the first line. It is fixed on the second line.

-Dan

Related to Solving equation involving permutation and combination

1. How do I know when to use permutation or combination?

Permutation is used when the order of the elements matters, while combination is used when the order does not matter. For example, if you are choosing a president, vice president, and secretary from a group of 10 people, you would use permutation because the order of the chosen individuals matters. However, if you are choosing a committee of 3 people from a group of 10, you would use combination because the order of the chosen individuals does not matter.

2. What is the formula for solving permutation and combination equations?

The formula for permutation is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements being chosen. The formula for combination is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements being chosen.

3. How do I identify when to use factorial notation in permutation and combination equations?

Factorial notation is used in permutation and combination equations when there is a need to find the number of possible arrangements or combinations of a certain number of elements. It is represented by an exclamation mark after the number, such as 5!.

4. Can permutation and combination equations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, permutation and combination equations are commonly used in real-life situations such as in probability and statistics, genetics, and computer science. They are used to calculate the number of possible outcomes or arrangements in a given scenario.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving permutation and combination equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving permutation and combination equations include:

• Using the wrong formula (permutation instead of combination or vice versa)
  • Forgetting to use factorial notation
  • Not considering the order of the elements in permutation equations
  • Miscounting the number of elements in the given scenario
It is important to carefully read the problem and understand the differences between permutation and combination to avoid these mistakes.