Solving Dynamics Block Problem with Zero Force at Θ = 30 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a 0.5 kg block B inside a rotating arm at a constant rate of 2 rad/s. At a specific instant, the force exerted on the block by the arm is zero and the relative velocity and acceleration of the block with respect to the arm are being determined. The speaker also mentions solving for the velocity of the block in transverse and radial terms, and receiving help on finding the velocity of the arm. They suggest imagining oneself attached to a tube to understand the vertical velocity of the block.
Torquenstein101
I don't know if you guys can clearly see the image attached. (sorry i don't have my good digitial camera with me here). But the question is:

A 0.5 kg block B slides without friction inside a slot cut in arm OA which rotates in a vertical plane at a constant rate, (dΘ /dt) = 2 rad/s. At the instant when Θ = 30 degrees, r = 0.6 m and the force exerted on the block by the arm is zero. Determine, at this instant,
(a) the relative velocity of the block with respect to the arm
(b) the relative acceleration of the block with respect to the arm.
I believe I am on the right track and I did solve for the velocity of the block in transverse and radial terms. I got:
Vradial = (-0.6928) m/s and Vtransverse = (1.2) m/s
I have to find the velocity of the arm, and I did (not sure if its right), but my relative velocity is not coming out right...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 934
Physics news on Phys.org
I am extremely tired and have to goto bed, but I'll give you a hint for the vertical velocity. Imagine yourself attached to tube...how do you see the block move? The answer is simply in a straight line either towards or away from you depending on where you are standing. The idea here is that the velocity of the block with respect to an observer fixed in a rotating from with the tube will be purely radial. So if you place a unit vector radially outward from the pivot that rotates with the tube, the component of velocity in that direction is the velocity that the block will be obersved with if the observer is fixed to the tube.

Related to Solving Dynamics Block Problem with Zero Force at Θ = 30 Degrees

1. What is a dynamics block problem?

A dynamics block problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a block on a surface, taking into account forces such as gravity, friction, and applied forces.

2. How do you solve a dynamics block problem?

To solve a dynamics block problem, you first need to draw a free-body diagram to identify all of the forces acting on the block. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other equations to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of the block.

3. What does "zero force at Θ = 30 Degrees" mean in the context of a dynamics block problem?

In this context, "zero force" means that there is no applied force acting on the block at an angle of 30 degrees. This could also refer to the net force being equal to zero, meaning that the block is in equilibrium.

4. Why is it important to consider the angle of the applied force in a dynamics block problem?

The angle of the applied force affects the direction and magnitude of the force, which in turn affects the motion of the block. By considering the angle, we can accurately calculate the acceleration and predict the motion of the block.

5. Can you provide an example of a dynamics block problem with zero force at Θ = 30 Degrees?

Sure, an example could be a block sliding down a frictionless ramp with an angle of 30 degrees. In this case, the applied force would be equal to the component of the block's weight acting down the ramp, resulting in a net force of zero at Θ = 30 degrees.