Solve Dynamics Problem Involving Block & Arm Rotation

• Thread starter Torquenstein101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, a 0.5 kg block slides without friction inside a rotating arm at a constant rate of 2 rad/s. At a specific instant, the block has a radial velocity of -0.6928 m/s and a transverse velocity of 1.2 m/s. The relative velocity of the block with respect to the arm is 1.226 m/s and the relative acceleration is 1.2 m/s^2.
Torquenstein101
I don't know if you guys can clearly see the image attached. (sorry i don't have my good digitial camera with me here). But the question is:

A 0.5 kg block B slides without friction inside a slot cut in arm OA which rotates in a vertical plane at a constant rate, (dΘ /dt) = 2 rad/s. At the instant when Θ = 30 degrees, r = 0.6 m and the force exerted on the block by the arm is zero. Determine, at this instant,
(a) the relative velocity of the block with respect to the arm
(b) the relative acceleration of the block with respect to the arm.
I believe I am on the right track and I did solve for the velocity of the block in transverse and radial terms. I got:
Vradial = (-0.6928) m/s and Vtransverse = (1.2) m/s
I have to find the velocity of the arm, and I did (not sure if its right), but my relative velocity is not coming out right...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

***EDIT***
Never mind, I think I got it... Vradial= 1.226 m/s and Vtransverse = 1.2 m/s

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relative velocity of the block with respect to the arm is thus 1.226 m/s.The relative acceleration of the block with respect to the arm is equal to the angular acceleration of the arm times the radius of the arm, which is 0.6 m. Therefore, the relative acceleration of the block with respect to the arm is 2 rad/s^2 * 0.6 m = 1.2 m/s^2.

I would provide the following response:

Thank you for sharing your work and progress on solving this dynamics problem involving a block and arm rotation. It seems like you are on the right track and have solved for the velocity of the block in transverse and radial terms. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure they are correct.

To determine the velocity of the arm, you can use the equation v = rω, where v is the velocity of the arm, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the block, and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, the distance r is 0.6 m and the angular velocity ω is 2 rad/s. Plugging these values into the equation, we get v = 0.6 m * 2 rad/s = 1.2 m/s.

As for the relative velocity of the block with respect to the arm, it can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the arm from the velocity of the block. In this case, the relative velocity would be (1.226 - 1.2) m/s = 0.026 m/s.

To find the relative acceleration of the block with respect to the arm, you can use the equation a = rα, where a is the acceleration of the block, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the block, and α is the angular acceleration. Since the angular acceleration is constant at 0, the relative acceleration would be 0 m/s^2.

I hope this helps and good luck with your further calculations. Remember to always double check your work and make sure your units are consistent.

Related to Solve Dynamics Problem Involving Block & Arm Rotation

1. How do I determine the velocity of the block in a block and arm rotation problem?

The velocity of the block in a block and arm rotation problem can be determined by using the formula v = rω, where v is the linear velocity in meters per second, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the block in meters, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

2. What is the relationship between the angular velocity and linear velocity in a block and arm rotation problem?

The relationship between the angular velocity and linear velocity in a block and arm rotation problem is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases.

3. How do I calculate the torque in a block and arm rotation problem?

The torque in a block and arm rotation problem can be calculated using the formula τ = Frsinθ, where τ is the torque in Newton-meters, F is the force applied in Newtons, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied in meters, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm in radians.

4. Can the block and arm rotation problem be solved using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, the block and arm rotation problem can be solved using Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is angular acceleration.

5. What is the importance of friction in a block and arm rotation problem?

Friction plays an important role in a block and arm rotation problem as it can affect the motion and stability of the system. Friction can cause the block to slow down or stop, and it can also create a torque that opposes the rotation of the arm. It is important to take into account the effects of friction when solving these types of problems.