Solving Drain Problem: Salt Concentration in Effluent

That's exactly it! I'm glad you got it, and thanks for showing your work. :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank with 1000 m3 of salt solution, where fresh water flows in at a rate of 10 m3/min and salt solution flows out at the same rate. A differential equation is needed to determine the concentration of salt in the effluent as a function of time. A solution is derived, where the concentration is found to be 10e(-t/100) kg/m3.
walisyh
drain problem?

Homework Statement

A tank has 1000 m3 of salt solution. The salt concentration is 10 kg/m3. At time zero, salt-free water starts to flow into the tank at a rate of 10 m3/min. Simultaneously salt solution flows out of the tank at 10 m3/min, so that the volume of the solution in the tank is always 1000 m3. A mixer in the tank keeps the concentration of of salt in the entire tank constant; the concentration in the effluent is the same at the concentration in the tank. What is the concentration in the effluent as a function of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi walisyh! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi walisyh! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

ok what i have done is that:
when 10m3/min fresh water entered into tank 10 m3/min of mixture leaves the tank
now in 1 minute 100 kg of salt is being removed from the tank so conc. of effluent is 10kg of salt/m3 in 1 minute, in 2 min it 9.9 kg/m3 of salt and decreases approx 0.1 after every minute. I am stuck in making the general expression of effluent conc. as fuction of time.
what i have done is that y(t)=10-(t-1)/10

hi walisyh! :wink:

you're looking for a differential equation …

if the weight of salt is W(t) at time t, what is dW/dt ? :smile:

(or if you prefer, you can use the concentration C(t) instead of the weight)

I think that this problem warms the cockles of the heart of every math student / mathematician. This is one of those problems that every single ODE student has done. I love it! But, once you have the equation written, you'll probably see how to do it.

Robert1986 said:
I think that this problem warms the cockles of the heart of every math student / mathematician. This is one of those problems that every single ODE student has done. I love it! But, once you have the equation written, you'll probably see how to do it.
can you give me the equation? Because this question was given by my fluid teacher

Here are some thoughts:
  • You are interested in the concentration as a function of time.
  • The volume of the tank is constant.
  • Salt water is leaving the tank at -10 m3/min
  • The salt water and fresh water form a homogenous solution.
  • How can you define concentration?
  • From this, what happens if you differentiate this expression?
  • Can you write the rate at which the mass of salt water is changing as a function of time?

(This is a rather fun and simple ODE...)

finally i have done
Every minute we remove 1% of the salt. So the concentration at t minutes is (0.99^t)*(10 kg/m^3).

if anyone can give another solution pls post

hi walisyh! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
walisyh said:
Every minute we remove 1% of the salt. So the concentration at t minutes is (0.99^t)*(10 kg/m^3).

that would be correct if the inflow was shut off for a minute while the outflow continued, then the tank was refilled, then the inflow was shut off for another minute, and so on

but the inflow is continuously altering the concentration, so you need a differential equation …

try again :smile:

another attempt
Suppose the concentration at time t is c(t) so c(0)=10kg/m3 .

You have c ′ (t)=(−10m 3 /min) /1000m 3 c(t)
so c(t)=ke(−t/100) for some constant k and from the starting condition k=10kg/m 3 so

c(t)=10e(−t /100 )kg/m 3.
:smile:

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Related to Solving Drain Problem: Salt Concentration in Effluent

1. What is the cause of high salt concentration in effluent?

The high salt concentration in effluent is typically caused by the accumulation of salt in the wastewater due to various sources such as industrial processes, water softeners, and natural sources.

2. How does high salt concentration in effluent affect the environment?

High salt concentration in effluent can have detrimental effects on the environment, including damage to aquatic life and contamination of groundwater. It can also affect the growth of plants and crops if used for irrigation purposes.

3. What methods can be used to reduce salt concentration in effluent?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce salt concentration in effluent, including reverse osmosis, ion exchange, and electrodialysis. These methods involve separating the salt from the water through various physical and chemical processes.

4. How can I determine the salt concentration in effluent?

The salt concentration in effluent can be determined through laboratory testing or on-site monitoring using a conductivity meter. It is important to regularly monitor the salt concentration to ensure it is within acceptable levels.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing the high salt concentration in effluent?

If the high salt concentration in effluent is not addressed, it can lead to increased costs for wastewater treatment, harm to the environment, and potential fines for not meeting regulatory standards. It is important to address the issue promptly to avoid these consequences.