Solving Dot & Cross Product Equations: Vector Positioning

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross Dot
Yes, it does. It means that the angle between x and u must be 90 degrees. So in addition to being perpendicular, u and v must also be orthogonal to each other.
kingwinner
Q:Given non-zero vectors u and v, find a vector x such that both equalitites x dot u=|u|, and x cross u = v hold. What should be the mutual position of the given vectors u and v in space, so that the problem has a solution?

What I've got so far:

Setting x = au + b(u cross v)
I have that
a=1/|u| and b= +/- |v| / |u cross (u cross v)|

This answers the first part of the question, but I don't get the second part (i.e. What should be the mutual position of the given vectors u and v in space, so that the problem has a solution?)

Thanks for helping and explaining!

Physics news on Phys.org
This question looks hard and weird, but I am sure someone here knows the answer...

kingwinner said:
Q:Given non-zero vectors u and v, find a vector x such that both equalitites x dot u=|u|, and x cross u = v hold. What should be the mutual position of the given vectors u and v in space, so that the problem has a solution?

What I've got so far:

Setting x = au + b(u cross v)
I have that
a=1/|u| and b= +/- |v| / |u cross (u cross v)|

This answers the first part of the question, but I don't get the second part (i.e. What should be the mutual position of the given vectors u and v in space, so that the problem has a solution?)

Thanks for helping and explaining!
I started to say this was impossible until I saw that second question! Just "any" u and v won't do. You know, I expect, that the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both. Okay, if x cross u= v, what must be true of u and v?

Last edited by a moderator:
using the second equation,
[tex] \left( { x \times u } \right) \times u = v \times u [/tex]
①[tex] u \left( { x \cdot u } \right) - x \left( { u \cdot u } \right) = v \times u [/tex]
using the first equation and developping
②[tex] x = \frac{1}{\left| u \right|} u - \frac{1}{\left| u \right|^{2}} v \times u [/tex]
hence x is obtained.
then considering the following 3 eqations,
[tex] \left( { x \times u } \right) \cdot u = v \cdot u [/tex]
[tex] \left( { x \times u } \right) \times v = v \times v [/tex]
③[tex] \left( { x \times u } \right) \cdot v = v \cdot v [/tex]
respectively
④[tex] 0 = v \cdot u [/tex]
⑤[tex] u \left( { x \cdot v } \right) - x \left( { v \cdot u } \right) = 0 [/tex]
l.h.s in ③ [tex] = x \cdot \left( { u \times v } \right) [/tex] so substituting ① into ③
⑥[tex] x \cdot \left( { - u \left( { x \cdot u } \right) + x \left( { u \cdot u } \right) } \right) = \left| v \right|^{2} [/tex]
substituting ④ into ⑤
[tex] u \left( { x \cdot v } \right) = 0 [/tex]
i.e
⑦[tex] x \cdot v = 0 [/tex] because [tex] u \neq 0 [/tex]
according to ④ and ⑦ we can say [tex] u [/tex] and [tex] v [/tex] are orthogonal and [tex] u [/tex] and [tex] x [/tex] are on the same plane perpendicular to [tex] v [/tex] and not parallel due to the given first equation.
further using ①, ⑥ we can also say the relationship of the norm of [tex] u [/tex], [tex] v [/tex] and [tex] x [/tex] as
[tex] \left| u \right|^{2} \left( { \left| x \right|^{2} - 1 } \right) = \left| v \right|^{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
I forgot to type the hint that is attached to the orginal question:
HINT: seek the vector x in the form of a linear combination of u and (u cross v)

But I'm not sure how this will help...

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, is x cross u= v, what must be true of u and v?

So v and u must be perpendicular, right?
Is that all?

Last edited:
Yes.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes.

But there is another condition that it must satisfy: x dot u=|u|, does this impose any other restrictions?

Related to Solving Dot & Cross Product Equations: Vector Positioning

1. What is the dot product equation and how is it used in vector positioning?

The dot product equation is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and calculates the cosine of the angle between them, resulting in a scalar value. In vector positioning, it is used to determine the magnitude of a vector component in a certain direction.

2. How is the dot product different from the cross product?

The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector value. The dot product calculates the similarity between two vectors, while the cross product calculates the perpendicularity between them.

3. Can you give an example of how to solve a dot product equation for vector positioning?

Sure, let's say we have two vectors, A = (2, 3, 5) and B = (4, -1, 2). To find the dot product, we would use the equation A · B = (2 * 4) + (3 * -1) + (5 * 2) = 8 - 3 + 10 = 15. This means that the magnitude of vector A in the direction of vector B is 15.

4. How is the dot product used in real-world applications?

The dot product is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate work, energy, and power in physics, to find the angle between two vectors in engineering, and to determine the intensity of light in computer graphics.

5. Can the dot product equation be used for vectors in any dimension?

Yes, the dot product equation can be used for vectors in any dimension, as long as they have the same number of components. The resulting scalar value will still represent the magnitude of the vector component in a specific direction.