Solving Discrepancy in Course: Free Body Diagrams and Tension

• Thread starter gbaby370
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation discusses a question requiring the finding of tension and acceleration in a pulley system, with the answer for acceleration matching the text but the answer for tension being significantly different. The speaker is questioning the possibility of the text's answer being incorrect, but without knowing the specific problem and answer in the book, it cannot be determined.
gbaby370
I have recetly covered free body diagrams and tension in my course. I had a question that required me to find the tension and acceleration of two boxes in a pulley system.

My answer for acceleration was the same as the text (rounded a bit differently), but my answer for tension was way off.

My issue is, that when I substitute my answer for Tension in the Fnet equations in both the vertical and horizontal planes, they both balance (ex: 535=535). But when I substitute the textbooks answer, the equations don't balance.

Is there a possibility that the text is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is always a "possibility" that the answer in the book is incorrect. However, it is impossible to tell whether that is the case here without knowing what the specific problem is and what answer the book gives.

Related to Solving Discrepancy in Course: Free Body Diagrams and Tension

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a given situation. These forces can be contact forces, such as friction or tension, or non-contact forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces. Free body diagrams are used to analyze the motion and equilibrium of an object.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object of interest and drawing it as a simple shape, such as a dot or a rectangle. Then, identify all the forces acting on the object and draw them as arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Make sure to label each force with its corresponding symbol. Finally, include any necessary reference frames or coordinate systems.

3. What is tension in a free body diagram?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by another object. In a free body diagram, tension is represented by a force vector that is directed away from the object and towards the source of the tension. Tension can occur in various situations, such as a rope pulling on an object or a spring stretched by a weight.

4. How do I solve discrepancies in a free body diagram?

If there are discrepancies in a free body diagram, it means that the forces are not balanced, and the object is not in equilibrium. To solve these discrepancies, you can use Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces and determine the net force acting on the object. Once the net force is known, you can use it to calculate the acceleration and determine the direction of motion.

5. Why is it important to have accurate free body diagrams?

Having accurate free body diagrams is essential because they provide a visual representation of the forces acting on an object and help us understand its motion and equilibrium. It also allows us to apply mathematical principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and solve problems. Without accurate free body diagrams, it would be challenging to accurately predict the behavior of objects in different situations.