Value of frictional forces in a 3-block system

In summary: N.So...In summary, In option d, the tension in the strings attached to the left and right blocks is 20N.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Find the values of f1 and f2 in the given figure.
Relevant Equations
Free body Diagram
IMG-20200416-WA0049.jpg

So I started by checking the options.I substituted the value of friction in the equations I got by making free body diagrams.I got different value of Tensions.For 1 and 3 Tension came to be 38 N.For 2 Tension came out to be 42N and for 4 Tension came out to be 40 N.
Now I think that I will take 1 and 3.As tension is minimum there.And since we get same value of acceleration of block 3 downwards,we will go with option 3.Because friction will be less than its maximum value.
Is my explanation correct?Please tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are these 1, 2, 3 and 4 you refer to? Do you mean A, B, C and D?
What equations are you plugging the values of friction into?
How did you arrive at the tensions you calculated?
Have you tested your solution in respect of each of the three masses?

Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Find the values of f1 and f2 in the given figure.
Relevant Equations:: Free body Diagram

View attachment 260813

So I started by checking the options.I substituted the value of friction in the equations I got by making free body diagrams.I got different value of Tensions.For 1 and 3 Tension came to be 38 N.For 2 Tension came out to be 42N and for 4 Tension came out to be 40 N.
Now I think that I will take 1 and 3.As tension is minimum there.And since we get same value of acceleration of block 3 downwards,we will go with option 3.Because friction will be less than its maximum value.
Is my explanation correct?Please tell.
It is not correct. There is no physical reason to base an answer on the "minimum tension", this is not a valid criterion.

Note that to answer the question, it turns out that you do not need to calculate the tension in the rope at all. You don't need the acceleration either. Look carefully at the information provided.

haruspex said:
What are these 1, 2, 3 and 4 you refer to? Do you mean A, B, C and D?
What equations are you plugging the values of friction into?
How did you arrive at the tensions you calculated?
Have you tested your solution in respect of each of the three masses?
Yes I was referring to Option a,b,c,d.

nrqed said:
It is not correct. There is no physical reason to base an answer on the "minimum tension", this is not a valid criterion.

Note that to answer the question, it turns out that you do not need to calculate the tension in the rope at all. You don't need the acceleration either. Look carefully at the information provided.
So we should go with friction.
If both f1 and f2 are 20 N they can stop the motion.So I will go with option d).As if friction can stop the motion at its value less than or equal to static friction,it takes that value.Am i correct?

Physics lover said:
So we should go with friction.
If both f1 and f2 are 20 N they can stop the motion.So I will go with option d).As if friction can stop the motion at its value less than or equal to static friction,it takes that value.Am i correct?
As I sort of hinted at the end of post #4, it is worth looking at each of the bodies. In particular, consider the suspended mass. What is the maximum possible tension according to the forces on that?

haruspex said:
As I sort of hinted at the end of post #4, it is worth looking at each of the bodies. In particular, consider the suspended mass. What is the maximum possible tension according to the forces on that?
Maximum Possible tension I got by solving the equations was 42 N.
The equations were-:
For the suspended block-:40-T=4a
For left block-:T/2-20=4a1
For right block-:T/2-28=4a2
And a=(a1-a2)/2

Physics lover said:
Maximum Possible tension I got by solving the equations was 42 N.
No, I said to consider just the suspended mass. What would happen to that if the tension were 42N?

haruspex said:
No, I said to consider just the suspended mass. What would happen to that if the tension were 42N?
It will move upwards.But is that possible?

Physics lover said:
It will move upwards.But is that possible?
Clearly it is not, so what, on that basis, is the maximum possible tension?

haruspex said:
Clearly it is not, so what, on that basis, is the maximum possible tension?
40 N!

Physics lover said:
40 N!
So my answer would be f2=f2=20N.Is that correct?

Physics lover said:
So my answer would be f2=f2=20N.Is that correct?
I think you mean the max upward force on the suspended mass is 40N, so the max tension is 20N. But yes, that's the quickest way to the answer.

Likes Physics lover
haruspex said:
I think you mean the max upward force on the suspended mass is 40N, so the max tension is 20N. But yes, that's the quickest way to the answer.
yes i meant that only.So tension in strings attached left and right block will be 20N.So f1=f2=20N.

Physics lover said:
yes i meant that only.So tension in strings attached left and right block will be 20N.So f1=f2=20N.
Yes.

Related to Value of frictional forces in a 3-block system

1. What is frictional force and how does it affect a 3-block system?

Frictional force is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. In a 3-block system, frictional forces can affect the movement and stability of the blocks, as well as the overall energy and efficiency of the system.

2. How do you calculate the value of frictional forces in a 3-block system?

The value of frictional forces in a 3-block system can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces in contact. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials and surfaces involved, and the normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

3. What factors can affect the value of frictional forces in a 3-block system?

The value of frictional forces in a 3-block system can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the weight and mass of the blocks, the angle of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How does the value of frictional forces impact the motion and stability of a 3-block system?

The value of frictional forces can have a significant impact on the motion and stability of a 3-block system. High frictional forces can impede the movement of the blocks and make it difficult to maintain a stable position, while low frictional forces can lead to a lack of control and stability in the system.

5. How can the value of frictional forces be reduced in a 3-block system?

The value of frictional forces can be reduced in a 3-block system by using lubricants or materials with lower coefficients of friction, reducing the weight and mass of the blocks, and adjusting the angle of the surfaces to minimize the contact area. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the surfaces can help reduce the effects of frictional forces.