Solving Disappearing Posts Mystery - Any Suggestions?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, Roger claims that the staff of Physics Forums practises unfair censorship, but this is not the case. The rule that was mentioned allows the staff to remove posts that violate the rules that were agreed to when someone signed up to the forum.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Sorry if this is not the right forum for this. I have the impression that my post total somehow recently decreased by some 200+ posts. I remember the count was at around 2350. Then now I am seeing it down at 2156. Could anyone suggest something here please?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of how this could have happened, but I run stat cache rebuilder to make sure all numbers are up to date.

I lost 500+ just recently --- you're from my "era," and it's just one of "those things" tied to the recent "purges" in the politics fora.

Likes WWGD
Bystander said:
I lost 500+ just recently --- you're from my "era," and it's just one of "those things" tied to the recent "purges" in the politics fora.
Bingo, thanks for reminding me. Those posts from the Current Event forum and past iterations, were moved to GD and now are not counted to your total.

Likes WWGD
So will I get another trophy when I hit 20,000 posts again?

Likes CalcNerd and nsaspook
Vanadium 50 said:
Good question :biggrin:

Vanadium 50 said:
Those trophies just consider that you satisfied the condition at some point.

I could watch that when Greg adjusted the trophies that depend on the like count after we found a bug with them. Greg, micromass and I got the (now) 3000 trophy earlier than the 2000 trophy, at that time we all didn't have 3000, but nothing happened when we got them again.

mfb said:
Those trophies just consider that you satisfied the condition at some point.

So they are level-triggered and not edge-triggered?

If you make a post (or visit the forum in general? Not sure when exactly) the forum just checks if you satisfy the conditions for a trophy that you don't have already. If yes, you get it.

See all the trophies given in September 20, 2014, where the system was introduced. All frequent posters back then got trophies for their first post, first 100 posts, first 250 posts, ..., first like, ... that day.

Likes cnh1995
Vanadium 50 said:
So they are level-triggered and not edge-triggered?
They are Latching. :smile:

I didn't notice this time but I guess mine went down as well. I could have sworn that I was around 17 or 18 hundred but now I'm below 1500.

Interesting. I haven't noticed my post count go down, but have sometimes noticed that my post count doesn't go up after a post. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this?
EDIT: For example, this post did not count for me...:confused::confused::confused:

Comeback City said:
Interesting. I haven't noticed my post count go down, but have sometimes noticed that my post count doesn't go up after a post. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this?

Any post within the PF Lounge doesn't count towards your postcount.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Any post within the PF Lounge doesn't count towards your postcount.

Zz.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Thanks

amjc said:
Disappearing Posts?
Sure!... Everybody may be aware that the staff of Physics Forums practises unfair censorship.
Physics Forums has clear rules that people agree to follow when they sign up. If they break those rules, their posts may be deleted. Yes, it is censorship, but there is nothing unfair about that...er, well -- not by the staff: it is the member who violates the rules they agreed to follow who is being unfair to the staff and other members.

amjc said:
If one searches for the three keywords "censorship" "physics" "forums" at Google, he can find this link (among others):
Some users are not happy if their posts that violate forum rules are deleted. That is not surprising.

I can't comment on the particular case you linked because it is unclear which posts the user is talking about. What roger claims in that thread is clearly wrong.

I suppose that you are referring to this rule:
"In the forums we do not allow... challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.)"

In my opinion, this unfair rule is not based on the true scientific method; it is based on a dogmatic view of science.
If we were living in the year 1887, this kind of rule would not allow the publication of the Michelson-Morley experiment, seeing that it challenged the aether theory (which was followed by the physicists' mainstream during the 19th century).
If we were living in 1905, the Relativity Theory of Poincaré-Einstein would be also censored (and not published), according to this rule.

Thank you for your feedback amjc. No further discussion is required.

Related to Solving Disappearing Posts Mystery - Any Suggestions?

1. How do posts disappear on social media platforms?

Posts can disappear on social media platforms for a variety of reasons, such as being deleted by the user, being flagged by the platform for violating community guidelines, or being hidden by the platform's algorithm.

2. Can disappearing posts be retrieved or recovered?

It depends on the reason for the post's disappearance. If it was deleted by the user, it may be possible to recover it if the platform has a feature for retrieving deleted posts. If it was removed by the platform, it may not be possible to recover it.

3. How can I prevent my posts from disappearing?

To prevent your posts from disappearing, make sure to follow the platform's community guidelines and avoid posting content that may be flagged. Additionally, regularly back up your posts by saving them on your device or using a third-party app.

4. Are there any common patterns or trends in disappearing posts?

There is no one specific pattern or trend in disappearing posts as it can vary depending on the platform, users, and content. However, some factors that may contribute to disappearing posts include algorithm changes, user behavior, and platform policies.

5. What should I do if my posts keep disappearing?

If you are experiencing frequent disappearing posts, try reaching out to the platform's customer support for assistance. They may be able to provide more information on why your posts are disappearing and how to prevent it from happening in the future.