Solving Dimension Matching Problem with Brad - 65 Characters

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the dimensional relation between the period, length, and acceleration of gravity can be expressed as [τ] = [l^r] [g^s]. Using the dimensions [T] for τ, [L] for l, and [L/T^2] for g, it can be shown that τ is proportional to (l/g)^(1/2). By setting up equations for the exponents, it can be solved that r = 1/2 and s = -1/2, leading to the final solution.
brad sue
Hi,

I have a problem about dimension matchig.

the dimensional relation between the period τ , the pendul length l, and the acceleration of the gravity g takes the form:
[ τ ]=[l^r] [g^s]

Use the fact that the dimendion of τ is [T], that of l is [L], and that of g is [L/T^2] to show that

τ is proportional to (l/g)^(1/2)

I don't get the soltuion right...
Thank you

brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you did. (Start by replacing l and g with their dimensional equivalents.)

Doc Al said:
Show what you did. (Start by replacing l and g with their dimensional equivalents.)

Lr*Ls/T2s equivalent to

Lr*Ls/T-2s . from here I get lost in my calculation I tried to separated the exponent of T into T-s*T-s but really it does not make sense to me.
please give me some hint so I can go further

Thank
Brad

You have T1 = Lr*Ls*T-2s. So now you can set up equations for the exponents:
1 = -2s
0 = r + s (note that having no L factor is equivalent to having L0)

Thank you SO much!

I got the solution now

Doc Al said:
You have T1 = Lr*Ls*T-2s. So now you can set up equations for the exponents:
1 = -2s
0 = r + s (note that having no L factor is equivalent to having L0)

Related to Solving Dimension Matching Problem with Brad - 65 Characters

1. What is the "Solving Dimension Matching Problem with Brad - 65 Characters"?

The "Solving Dimension Matching Problem with Brad - 65 Characters" is a scientific research project focused on finding a solution to the dimension matching problem, which involves matching dimensions in complex data sets.

2. Who is Brad and why is he mentioned in the title?

Brad is a scientist who is leading the research project on solving the dimension matching problem. He is mentioned in the title to give credit and recognition to his contribution to the project.

3. What is the significance of solving the dimension matching problem?

Solving the dimension matching problem is significant because it allows scientists and researchers to accurately analyze and interpret complex data sets. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology.

4. How is this research project being conducted?

This research project is being conducted through a combination of theoretical and practical approaches. The scientists involved are using mathematical models and computer simulations to develop and test potential solutions to the dimension matching problem.

5. When can we expect to see results from this research project?

The timeline for this research project can vary, but it is expected that results will be published and shared within the scientific community within the next few years. However, the ultimate goal is to continue improving and refining the solution to the dimension matching problem over time.