Solving Conveyor Belt Problems: Force, Magnitude, and Power Calculations

In summary: The conversation discusses a problem involving a conveyor belt and sand falling on it. The questions revolve around the force required to move the sand, the magnitude of that force, and the force exerted on the belt by the engine. The formula for calculating the power required for the belt is also mentioned. In summary, the force required to move the sand is 120 N, with a magnitude of 120 N, and the force exerted on the belt by the engine is also 120 N. The power required for the belt is 600 watts, with 40% efficiency.
DivD
i have a test tomorow and our teacher gave us an example of a problem that might be coming tomorow. the question is
Sand falls on a conveyor belt at 60 kg per second and the belt moves at 2 meters per second.
a) what is the force moving the sand?
b) what is the magnitude of the force?
c) force exerted on belt by the engine.
d) the engine has 40% efficiency. how much is the input power?

well i am guessing that the first three parts will be the same based on some of the other questions i looked at https://www.physicsforums.com/archive.../t-150868.html
do we multiply the rate at which the mass is changing times the velocity to find the force on the belt? so would the force on the belt be 120 N since 60 x 2?? and the magnitude would be the same I am guessing. and the force exerted on the belt by the engine would also be 120 N right? but I am a bit lost on how to convert it to power. can anyone help me please? i have the test tomorow and i need to know if i am correct or not. thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the problem of varying mass.
At any instant let the moment of the system be
P = m*v
External force = dP/dt = v*dm/dt, because dv/dt = 0
Power supplied by the external force = F*v.

rl.bhat said:
It is the problem of varying mass.
At any instant let the moment of the system be
P = m*v
External force = dP/dt = v*dm/dt, because dv/dt = 0
Power supplied by the external force = F*v.

yea but these are just the formulas. i don't get the answer. like are my answers right? thank

Your answer for the force is correct.

rl.bhat said:
Your answer for the force is correct.

for the power required for the belt it would be 240 watts since power=F*v=240*2
since it is 40% efficient would that mean that the total power is 600 watts since 40% of 600 is 240?? and is the answer 120 N for the first three parts? or only for one of the three parts?

# force required to move the sand is frictional force between the sand and belt
# the magnitude is 120N
# since efficiency is 40%
then 40% of P = dW/dt = Fv
0.4 P= 120 X 2 = 240
P = 600W

Related to Solving Conveyor Belt Problems: Force, Magnitude, and Power Calculations

What is the "Conveyor belt problem"?

The "Conveyor belt problem" is a classic mathematical problem that involves finding the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance on a moving conveyor belt, while also taking into account the speed of the conveyor belt itself.

What is the formula for solving the "Conveyor belt problem"?

The formula for solving the "Conveyor belt problem" is Distance = (Belt Speed + Object Speed) * Time. This formula takes into account the distance traveled by the conveyor belt and the object, as well as the combined speed of both.

What are the different variations of the "Conveyor belt problem"?

There are three main variations of the "Conveyor belt problem": when the conveyor belt and object are moving in the same direction, when they are moving in opposite directions, and when the object is stationary on the conveyor belt. Each variation requires a slightly different approach to solving the problem.

What are some real-world applications of the "Conveyor belt problem"?

The "Conveyor belt problem" can be applied to real-world situations such as calculating the time it takes for a package to travel on a conveyor belt in a factory, or the time it takes for a person to walk on a moving sidewalk in an airport.

What are some tips for solving the "Conveyor belt problem"?

Some tips for solving the "Conveyor belt problem" include carefully identifying the variables involved, setting up and solving the equation correctly, and double-checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the given scenario.