Solving complex number equations

That is, to get the square roots of a complex number, we take the square roots of the "radius" and divide the "argument" by 2. If we add π to the "argument" we get the other square root. The square roots of -1+ i are the square roots of 2eiπ/4. The square roots of 2- i are the square roots of \sqrt{5}e^{-\frac{\pi}{4}}. The square root of -1+ i is equal to \sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi}{8}} and the square root of 2- i is equal to \sqrt{2}e^{-\frac{\pi
deryk
Hello, I am trying to solve

(z^4-2+i)(z^2+1-i)=0

With the quadratic formula:

(z^2+1-i)=0

Does a=1, b=1 & c=-1?

Thanks for your time.

IM meant to

(a) Give answers in polar form using the principal argument;
(b) Give answers in cartesian form

Cartesian is (x,y) is it not and polar is (r,theta) I am just not sure about the principal argument.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deryk said:
Does a=1, b=1 & c=-1?

Thanks for your time.
No, a=1, b=0, and c=(1-i) because "a" is the coefficient of z^2, "b" is the coefficient of z and "c" is the constant term.

deryk said:
Hello, I am trying to solve

(z^4-2+i)(z^2+1-i)=0

With the quadratic formula:

(z^2+1-i)=0

Does a=1, b=1 & c=-1?

Thanks for your time.

IM meant to

(a) Give answers in polar form using the principal argument;
(b) Give answers in cartesian form

Cartesian is (x,y) is it not and polar is (r,theta) I am just not sure about the principal argument.

To answer your questin a= 1, b= 1, and c= -i.
However, there is no reason to use the quadratic formula here- since
z2+ 1-i= 0, z2= -1+ i and you just take the square root (this is what the quadratic formula would give you anyway):
[tex]z= \sqrt{-1+ i}[/tex]

You'll want to convert that into polar form to take the square root. The answer will then be in polar form and you will need to convert back to Cartesian form.
The polar form of a+ bi is reθi where
[itex]r= sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= tan^{-1}(\frac{b}{a})[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
To answer your questin a= 1, b= 1, and c= -i.
However, there is no reason to use the quadratic formula here- since
z2+ 1-i= 0, z2= -1+ i and you just take the square root (this is what the quadratic formula would give you anyway):
[tex]z= \sqrt{-1+ i}[/tex]

You'll want to convert that into polar form to take the square root. The answer will then be in polar form and you will need to convert back to Cartesian form.
The polar form of a+ bi is reθi where
[itex]r= sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= tan^{-1}(\frac{b}{a})[/itex].

How would you write z=+ or -(-1+i)^0.5 & z= + or - (2-i)^0.5 in polar and cartesian form? Thanks.

deryk said:
How would you write z=+ or -(-1+i)^0.5 & z= + or - (2-i)^0.5 in polar and cartesian form? Thanks.
Pretend the complex number under the radicand is a 2-dimensional position vector with components (-1,1) in the case of the first one. Get the argument (angle from the positive real axis) and modulus (magnitude of the vector) from that, then write it in polar form to get the roots.

deryk said:

Since you copied the formulas I gave for converting from cartesian to polar coordinates, I assume you are asking about the square root:

DeMoivre's formula: If a complex number has "polar coordinates" r, θ (in other words, the number can be written r(cos θ+ i sin θ) or re) then it's square roots are
[tex]r^{\frac{1}{2}}(cos\frac{\theta}{2}+ i sin\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]
and
[tex]r^{\rac{1}{2}}(cos(\frac{\theta}{2}+ \pi)+ i sin(\frac{\theta}{2}+\pi))[/tex]
or
[tex]r^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{\frac{\theta}{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]r^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{(\frac{\theta}{2}+\pi)}[/tex]

Related to Solving complex number equations

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

How do you solve complex number equations?

To solve complex number equations, you must first isolate the real and imaginary parts on each side of the equation. Then, use algebraic techniques to solve for the real and imaginary parts separately. Finally, combine the real and imaginary parts to find the solutions to the equation.

What is the difference between a real solution and an imaginary solution?

A real solution is a solution that is a real number, while an imaginary solution is a solution that is a complex number with a non-zero imaginary part. Real solutions can be graphed on the number line, while imaginary solutions are represented by points on the complex plane.

What is the quadratic formula for solving complex number equations?

The quadratic formula for solving complex number equations is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula is used to find the solutions to equations in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are complex numbers.

What are some real-life applications of solving complex number equations?

Complex number equations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. They are also used in signal processing, electrical circuit analysis, and in calculating the behavior of alternating currents.