Solving Complex Line Integrals: Line Segment from 2 to 3+i Using Green's Theorem

In summary, a complex line integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the sum of a complex-valued function along a given path or curve. It is calculated by breaking down the path into smaller segments and taking the limit as the segments become infinitely small. Complex line integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can have negative values and there is a difference between a closed and open complex line integral.
loki91

Homework Statement

Compute the following line integral:

[tex]\int_{\gamma} |z|^2 dz[/tex] where [tex]\gamma(t)[/tex] is the line segment from 2 to 3 + i

Homework Equations

Green's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally started by saying that y = x - 2 and subing that into the equation "x^2 + y^2". Then tried to integrat it but failed.

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
So
z = x+i.y

Parameterise the line by
x(t)=t
y(t)=t-2

Now write the parameterised of the line z(t), then find the differential dz in terms of dt, then perform the integration over t

Related to Solving Complex Line Integrals: Line Segment from 2 to 3+i Using Green's Theorem

1. What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the sum of a complex-valued function along a given path or curve. It is similar to a regular line integral, but the function being integrated is a complex-valued function instead of a real-valued function.

2. How is a complex line integral calculated?

A complex line integral is calculated by breaking down the path or curve into smaller segments, and then taking the limit as the segments become infinitely small. The integral is then computed for each segment and added together to get the total value.

3. What is the significance of complex line integrals?

Complex line integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate quantities such as work, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow in complex systems.

4. Can a complex line integral have a negative value?

Yes, a complex line integral can have a negative value. This occurs when the function being integrated has a negative value along certain segments of the path or when the path itself is oriented in a counterclockwise direction.

5. What is the difference between a closed and open complex line integral?

A closed complex line integral is one where the path or curve being integrated is a closed loop, meaning it starts and ends at the same point. An open complex line integral is one where the path does not form a closed loop. The calculations for these two types of integrals are different.