Solving Commutator Problem: Find [a,a†]

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary: With this correction,... are you familiar with the canonical commutation relations between ##x## and ##p##?Yes, I am familiar with the canonical commutation relations between x and p.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

a = √(mω/2ħ)x + i√(1/2ħmω), a = √(mω/2ħ)x - i√(1/2ħmω),

find [a,a]

the solution is given. it should be 1.

Homework Equations

[a,b] = ab -ba

The Attempt at a Solution

im guessing there is something I'm missing or I'm not doing something somewhere.
I'm just doing what the formula says.

(√(mω/2ħ)x + i√(1/2ħmω))(√(mω/2ħ)x - i√(1/2ħmω)) -(√(mω/2ħ)x - i√(1/2ħmω))(√(mω/2ħ)x + i√(1/2ħmω))

and from that i get zero. what i am forgetting to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mis-typed the definitions of ##a## and ##a^\dagger##. Shouldn't there be a ##p## (momentum) in the 2nd term of each?

strangerep said:
I think you mis-typed the definitions of ##a## and ##a^\dagger##. Shouldn't there be a ##p## (momentum) in the 2nd term of each?
i just noticed that. i copied it straight from the homework so I'm guessing the teacher made a mistake.

here i am banging my head on the table.

Yes, the teacher left out the p in the second term of each expression. x and p are operators here. Do they commute?

It still seems like zero to me. How can I commute those terms?

Hello Sugyned, welcome to PF!

Please show your work.

TSny said:
Hello Sugyned, welcome to PF!

Please show your work.

Shouldnt poisson parenthesis be:

(dA/dQ)(dA†/dP) - (dA/dP)(dA†/dQ)
?
That would result in:
-aib-iba = -2iab

if a=√(mω/2ħ)
and b = √(1/2ħmω)I don't know much about this, maybe I'm completely wrong.
My university is protesting because the teachers weren't payed some salaries that the government owes to them, so the quantum mechanics teacher isn't giving classes, thus, we have a test coming up next tuesday. :smile:

The original question is not about Poisson brackets -- it's about quantum operators.

Maybe you should start a new thread, and state what your problem you're trying to answer?

strangerep said:
The original question is not about Poisson brackets -- it's about quantum operators.

Maybe you should start a new thread, and state what your problem you're trying to answer?
It's actualy this exact same problem shown up here. The notes I have are quite confusing, I can't just simply read it and understand it.

Sugyned said:
It's actualy this exact same problem shown up here.
Note that the original problem as stated in post #1 is wrong. See my post #2 where I corrected it.

With this correction,... are you familiar with the canonical commutation relations between ##x## and ##p##?

From these, you should be able to calculate ##[a, a^\dagger]##, using the linearity property of commutators. It's little more than a 1-liner.

Related to Solving Commutator Problem: Find [a,a†]

What is a commutator problem?

A commutator problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the commutator of two operators, typically in the context of quantum mechanics. The commutator of two operators is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the operators in reverse order. It is denoted by [A,B] and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of solving a commutator problem?

Solving a commutator problem is important in quantum mechanics because the commutator of two operators is related to the uncertainty in their measurements. If the commutator is zero, then the two operators are said to commute and can be measured simultaneously with no uncertainty. However, if the commutator is non-zero, then the two operators do not commute and there will be uncertainty in their measurements. Solving commutator problems allows us to better understand the physical properties of quantum systems.

What is the formula for finding the commutator of two operators?

The formula for finding the commutator of two operators A and B is [A,B] = AB - BA. This means that to find the commutator, we first multiply the two operators in the given order, then multiply them in reverse order, and finally subtract the two products.

How do you solve a commutator problem?

To solve a commutator problem, you need to first identify the two operators and then apply the commutator formula [A,B] = AB - BA. Once you have the commutator, you may need to use other mathematical techniques, such as simplification or the use of commutation relations, to further simplify the expression and get a final answer.

What are some applications of solving commutator problems?

Commutator problems have many applications in quantum mechanics, such as in calculating the uncertainty in measurements of physical quantities, determining the energy spectrum of quantum systems, and understanding the dynamics of quantum systems. They also have applications in other areas of physics, including statistical mechanics and solid state physics.