Finding the Eigenstate of S2 for a Spin 1 Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Eigenstate of S2 for a spin 1 particle using the matrix representations for Sx, Sy, and Sz. The correct method is to square all the matrices, add them together, and then put the radicals back in before adding. The incorrect result of 2ħ2 multiplied by a non-identity matrix indicates an error in the implementation of the method.
Jammy453

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show the Eigenstate of S2 is 2ħ^2 given the matrix representations for Sx, Sy and Sz for a spin 1 particle

Homework Equations

Sx = ħ/√2 *
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Sy = ħ/√2 *
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i & 0 \\
i & 0 & -i \\
0 & i & 0
\end{pmatrix}

Sz = ħ*
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}

(I'm sorry I don't know how to format matrixes on here...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried squaring all the matrices and adding them together but I just get

2 *
\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 4 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 3
\end{pmatrix}

which is not an identity matrix? What have I not understood?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jammy453 said:
What have I not understood?
Your method is correct. Check your implementation of it. You should put the radicals back in the ##S_x## and ##S_y## matrices where they belong before you add them.

Likes Jammy453
kuruman said:
Your method is correct. Check your implementation of it. You should put the radicals back in the ##S_x## and ##S_y## matrices where they belong before you add them.

I see where I went wrong now, thank you!

Related to Finding the Eigenstate of S2 for a Spin 1 Particle

1. What are spin component matrices?

Spin component matrices are mathematical representations used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin states of particles. They consist of a set of numbers arranged in a square matrix, with each number representing the probability amplitude of a particular spin state.

2. How do spin component matrices relate to the spin of particles?

Spin component matrices are directly related to the spin of particles. They provide a way to calculate the probability amplitudes for different spin states of a particle, which can then be used to determine the overall spin of the particle.

3. Are spin component matrices the same for all particles?

No, spin component matrices are specific to each type of particle. This is because different particles have different spin states and therefore require different matrices to describe them.

4. Can spin component matrices be used to predict the spin of a particle?

Yes, spin component matrices can be used to predict the spin of a particle. By calculating the probability amplitudes for different spin states, the overall spin of the particle can be determined with a certain level of accuracy.

5. What is the significance of spin component matrices in quantum mechanics?

Spin component matrices are an essential tool in quantum mechanics as they provide a way to mathematically describe the spin states of particles. This information is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.