Solving Collisions with angles problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about applying the conservation of momentum principle in physics. The participants discuss the use of vector equations and choosing a suitable direction to solve for momentum. They also provide calculations for solving the momentum of one object and the other object in the x/horizontal direction, and suggest quicker ways of solving the problem.
AceInfinity
First off, i'd like to note that this isn't homework, and I've seen other threads in here that deal with question/equation/problems, so I hope this isn't against the rules. I found this on a practice physics test online. I'm just using it for the benefit of my knowledge, nothing more.

I can provide the link if necessary for proof.

Heres the question I want to know how to solve:
[PLAIN]http://k.min.us/ibDXoi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
ohhh... I think you put me on the right track for beginning to solve this. The initial momentum was
in this case. Therefore the conservation of momentum is seen for that X component, I'll have to split them off into the X and Y components of momentum and look specifically at the X/horizontal component of momentum to use the conservation of momentum, if I'm not mistaken?

4.85 Cos(36o) = 3.92m/s

p = mv
p = (0.200kg)(3.92m/s)
p = 1.2kg•m/s

Solve for momentum of that object.

p = mv
p = (0.200kg)(3.92m/s)
p = 0.784kg•m/s

Momentum of the other object (puck 2) is: 1.2kg•m/s - 0.784kg•m/s

= 0.416kg•m/s [Important: in the x/horizontal direction. need to solve for the angle'd direction]

0.416kg•m/s ÷ [cos(54o)] =

0.707741472...kg•m/s !

I think with "their" answer, they rounded a bit too early.​

Last edited:
Hi AceInfinity! :smile:
AceInfinity said:
Momentum of the other object (puck 2) is: 1.2kg•m/s - 0.784kg•m/s

= 0.416kg•m/s [Important: in the x/horizontal direction. need to solve for the angle'd direction]

0.416kg•m/s / [cos(54o)] =

0.707741472...kg•m/s !

yes that's fine :smile:

but there are quicker ways of doing it …

you could take components in the y direction or in the final direction of puck 2 …

(both are quicker because they reduce the number of terms)

try both of those :wink:

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I am happy to help you understand how to solve this type of collision problem.

First, it is important to understand the concept of conservation of momentum. This principle states that the total momentum of a system is conserved in the absence of external forces. In other words, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

To solve this problem, we need to use the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. The equations are as follows:

Conservation of Momentum:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Conservation of Kinetic Energy:
1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

Where:
m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects
v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two objects before the collision
v1' and v2' are the velocities of the two objects after the collision

To solve the problem, you will need to use these equations and plug in the given values for mass and velocity. You will also need to use basic trigonometry to find the components of the velocities in the x and y directions.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to solve this type of problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Solving Collisions with angles problem

1. How do I determine the initial velocities of two objects involved in a collision with angles?

To determine the initial velocities of the objects, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision, as well as the angle of impact.

2. Can I use the same equations for both elastic and inelastic collisions?

No, the equations used for elastic collisions are different from those used for inelastic collisions. Elastic collisions involve objects that bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy, while inelastic collisions involve objects that stick together and lose some kinetic energy.

3. How do I calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision?

You can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations to calculate the final velocities of the objects. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the angle of impact and the type of collision.

4. What happens if the objects have different masses?

If the objects have different masses, the conservation of momentum and energy equations will still hold true. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities, as well as the angle of impact and the type of collision.

5. Are there any assumptions made when solving collisions with angles?

One assumption often made when solving collisions with angles is that there are no external forces acting on the objects during the collision. This allows us to use the conservation of momentum and energy equations to accurately calculate the final velocities of the objects.