Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0

In summary: The formula says that stress is proportional to the force applied and the area over which the force is applied. So, the more weight there is on the wire, the more tension there will be.
LilRubyKinz
Homework Statement
I am in grade 12 physics and I need to prepare for a test; I am looking for a specific type of question to solve but do not have that available to me.
Relevant Equations
N/A
My teacher wants me to know how to solve for missing values in a 1D collision when v2 does NOT equal 0.

Could someone do me a huge favour and make me a practice question to solve for a missing value when v2 does not equal 0? Or even point one out to me online?

And then let me try it out and see if I get it right? It would be a big help to have one as soon as possible. Thanks!

I might need help determining equations to use - but I’ll get around to that. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's best to start with the Relevant Equations that you think would be applicable. What are those equations, and how are they different for elastic versus non-elastic equations?

berkeman said:
It's best to start with the Relevant Equations that you think would be applicable. What are those equations, and how are they different for elastic versus non-elastic equations?

Okay, I was absent for this lesson. So mind any inaccuracies.

I have:

v1 + v1’ = v2 + v2’

m1v1 + m2v2 =m1v1’ + m2v2’

v1’ = [(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)]v1

v2’ = [(2m1)/(m1 + m2)]v1

One and two are for elastic systems only I believe? The last two equations don’t involve v2 so I don’t know that they apply here?

While I’m here - Young’s modulus is also on this test. Does anyone have an idea of what is being asked of this question? Where does mass apply?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 126
LilRubyKinz said:
Does anyone have an idea of what is being asked of this question?
We're not going to be able to help when you post 1/4 of the page you wrote on, and are not posting the complete Problem Statement and showing your work. We'd really like to help, but you know...

No that’s the complete statement. The rest of the page is something separate (different assignment).

I’d like to attempt it... but I don’t know what to attempt!

LilRubyKinz said:
While I’m here - Young’s modulus is also on this test. Does anyone have an idea of what is being asked of this question? Where does mass apply?
You are being asked to calculate the mass of the object that was suspended from the wire to cause the wire to lengthen by the given fraction. If you have no idea how to do that look up Young's modulus in Wikipedia.

LilRubyKinz said:
Okay, I was absent for this lesson. So mind any inaccuracies.

I have:

v1 + v1’ = v2 + v2’

m1v1 + m2v2 =m1v1’ + m2v2’

v1’ = [(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)]v1

v2’ = [(2m1)/(m1 + m2)]v1

One and two are for elastic systems only I believe? The last two equations don’t involve v2 so I don’t know that they apply here?
Well, it isn't much use knowing standard equations if you don't know what all the variables mean and the context in which each equation applies.
Yes, the first is only for perfectly elastic collisions. There is a variant for imperfect elasticity that involves the coefficient of restitution.
The second is conservation of linear momentum. It applies so long as no external force acts.

You can deduce the first equation by combining the second with conservation of mechanical energy (which is conspicuous by its absence from your list). You need to be careful not to assume energy is conserved. The question should make it clear when that is the case.

The last two look like they only apply in special cases, like v2 being zero, say. Ignore them. You can derive them from more general equations as needed. That's better than trying to remember so many equations that you forget when which applies.

haruspex said:
You are being asked to calculate the mass of the object that was suspended from the wire to cause the wire to lengthen by the given fraction. If you have no idea how to do that look up Young's modulus in Wikipedia.

I know Young’s Modulus, but mass is not a variable involved in the formula?

LilRubyKinz said:
I know Young’s Modulus, but mass is not a variable involved in the formula?
We are not here considering the mass of the wire.
The weight of the attached mass exerts a force on the wire. This is countered by an equal and opposite force at the other end of the wire. This pair of forces produces tension (tensile stress) along the wire.
What does the formula say about stress?

Related to Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0

1. What is "Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0"?

"Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0" is a scientific process used to calculate unknown values in a one-dimensional collision where the final velocity is not equal to zero.

2. Why is it important to solve for missing values in 1D collision?

It is important to solve for missing values in 1D collision because it allows us to accurately understand and predict the motion of objects involved in a collision. This information is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and transportation.

3. What are the key equations used in solving for missing values in 1D collision?

The key equations used in solving for missing values in 1D collision include conservation of momentum, conservation of kinetic energy, and the equations of motion (position, velocity, and acceleration).

4. How do you determine which equations to use in a specific 1D collision problem?

To determine which equations to use in a specific 1D collision problem, you need to first identify the known and unknown values. Then, you can choose the appropriate equations based on the conservation principles and variables involved.

5. Are there any assumptions made when using "Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0"?

Yes, there are some assumptions made when using "Solving for Missing Values in 1D Collision w/v2 ≠ 0." These include the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, as well as the absence of external forces or friction during the collision.