Solving Chain Rule Problem with Equation (7.8)

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation in a paper and the confusion surrounding its application. The person asking the question initially struggles with understanding how to take the second derivative, but eventually realizes their mistake. The expert asks about the person's math background and confirms their understanding of second partial derivatives.
Robin04

Homework Statement

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1007&context=foundation_wave
I'm trying to understand this paper and I'm stuck at equation (7.8). That part of the text is very short so I hope you don't mind if I don't copy the equations here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how I get (7.7). But if I want to take the second derivate I can just apply the chainrule again. ##\partial_t^2{q} = \partial_t{[v(\partial_u{\tilde{q}}-\partial_s{\tilde{q}})]} = v[\partial^2_u{\tilde{q}}\partial_t{u}-\partial^2_s{\tilde{q}}\partial_t{s}] = v^2[\partial^2_u{\tilde{q}}+\partial^2_s{\tilde{q}}]##
But in the text it looks like if the author raised it to the power two (and got a different result) and I don't see why is that the same operation as taking the second derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
I posted too soon, I realized what I did wrong. ##\partial_u{\tilde{q}}## is also dependent on s and so does the derivative with respect to s depend on u. With this, I got the same result.

First of all, what is your background in math? Do you understand what is second partial derivative?

Related to Solving Chain Rule Problem with Equation (7.8)

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable.

How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

What is the formula for the chain rule?

The formula for the chain rule is (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x), where f(x) is the outer function and g(x) is the inner function.

Can you provide an example of solving a chain rule problem?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3, we can rewrite it as f(x) = (g(x))^3, where g(x) = x^2 + 1. Then, using the chain rule, we get f'(x) = 3(g(x))^2 * g'(x) = 3(x^2 + 1)^2 * 2x = 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, not identifying the inner and outer functions correctly, and making errors in simplifying the final answer.