Solving Centripetal Acceleration: Maximum Speed in Curved Truck Problem

In summary, the maximum speed for a certain light truck to go around a curve with a radius of 79.5 m is 25.8 m/s. This can be determined by using the equation for acceleration in a circle, a=v^2/r, and plugging in the values for the maximum speed (35.5 m/s) and radius (150 m) in the first scenario. Then, using the same value of maximum centripetal force/acceleration, the new velocity for the second curve can be calculated. This method is more effective than using kinematic equations, as the limiting factor is the force on the truck.
smashbrohamme
A certain light truck can go around a flat curve having a radius of 150 m with a maximum speed of 35.5 m/s. With what maximum speed can it go around a curve having a radius of 79.5 m?

Answer is 25.8.

I was trying to use the relationship of V=RW but I can't seem to figure out this simple problem.

Is this a centripetal acceleration problem?

What method is best to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the limiting factor is the force on the truck, right? So if you work out the force (or equivalently, the acceleration since mass is the same in both cases) on the truck in the first scenario, you can use the same value of max centripetal force/acceleration for the new curve.

so I can figure out the acceleration and linear distance of the radius to figure out how fast it can go using kinematic equations eh?

Just use the equation for acceleration in a circle, [itex]a=v^2/r[/itex] to determine the acceleration in the first case. Then use your result with the second value of 'r' in order to determine your new velocity.

it seems I don't have enough information to use the kinemativ equations.

You only need the one equation I gave in my post above! :smile:

nice, a=v^2/r for circle acceleration..that is a very useful equation.

yea sorry about that, if you look at the time we posted at the same time so I didnt see your great equation at posting.

1. What is a basic physics problem?

A basic physics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of fundamental physics principles and equations to solve. It may involve concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and electricity.

2. How do I approach solving a basic physics problem?

To solve a basic physics problem, you should first identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate equations and plug in the values. Finally, solve for the unknown variable and check your answer for accuracy.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a basic physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a basic physics problem include not properly converting units, using incorrect equations, and not considering the direction of vectors. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units at the end.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to understand the underlying concepts and principles. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with certain topics.

5. Is it important to show all of my work when solving a basic physics problem?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving a basic physics problem. This not only helps you keep track of your steps and calculations, but it also allows others to follow your thought process and see where you may have made a mistake if your answer is incorrect.