How to find the equation for the maximum velocity possible

In summary, an object moving in a vertical circle attached to a string can withhold a maximum tension at the bottom of it's path. Deriving an expression for the maximum velocity the object can sustain, without the string breaking, is possible using the equations Fnet equals Fg - Tension at the bottom of a vertical path, Fnet equals mass x centripetal acceleration, and mass equals the object's weight.
brenna_s

Homework Statement

When an object is moving in a vertical circle attached to a string, it can withhold a maximum tension at the bottom of it's path. Derive an expression for the maximum velocity the object can sustain without the string breaking. No data is given, and everything should be variables.

Homework Equations

V minimum equals the square root of gravity x radius
Fnet equals Fg - Tension at the bottom of a vertical path
Fnet equals mass x centripetal acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use Fnet equals mass x centripetal acceleration - mg but that didn't work. I solved for v min in the previous problem, and found that it was the square root of gravity x radius, but I'm not sure how to go from that to v maximum.

Physics news on Phys.org
brenna_s said:

Homework Statement

When an object is moving in a vertical circle attached to a string, it can withhold a maximum tension at the bottom of it's path. Derive an expression for the maximum velocity the object can sustain without the string breaking. No data is given, and everything should be variables.

Homework Equations

V minimum equals the square root of gravity x radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use Fnet equals mass x centripetal acceleration - mg but that didn't work. I solved for v min in the previous problem, and found that it was the square root of gravity x radius, but I'm not sure how to go from that to v maximum.
Welcome to the PF.

There may be more to the problem, but as stated it seems pretty simple. It seems to only involve what happens at the bottom of the circle where the maximum velocity and the maximum string tension occur. Am I wrong about that?

You know what the centripital acceleration is as a function of tangential velocity (and therefore the force), and you know the force on the mass is due to gravity. So just add those at the bottom of the circle and equate those to the maximum tension it takes to break the string?

brenna_s said:
Each of those is correct in itself, with appropriate choices of positive direction, but as written the two are not consistent in that regard.
At the bottom, centripetal acceleration is up but gravity is down.
brenna_s said:
Fnet equals mass x centripetal acceleration - mg
That is wrong. As you wrote before, centripetal acceleration is a result of the net force. The net force is the resultant of the applied forces, tension and gravity.

Thank you both!

Likes berkeman

Related to How to find the equation for the maximum velocity possible

1. What factors affect the maximum velocity possible?

The maximum velocity possible is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the mass of the object, and the presence of any external resistive forces such as friction or air resistance.

2. How can I calculate the maximum velocity possible?

The maximum velocity possible can be calculated using the equation v = √(2F/m), where v is the maximum velocity, F is the applied force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Is there a universal equation for maximum velocity?

No, the equation for maximum velocity may vary depending on the specific scenario and the forces involved. It is important to consider all relevant factors and use the appropriate equations to calculate the maximum velocity.

4. Can the maximum velocity ever be exceeded?

In theory, yes, the maximum velocity can be exceeded. However, this would require infinite force and is not possible in real-world situations due to the limitations of our current understanding of physics.

5. How does the concept of maximum velocity relate to acceleration?

The maximum velocity possible is the highest speed that an object can reach under a given set of conditions. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's velocity. The maximum velocity is often achieved when the acceleration is no longer increasing and remains constant.